Archive Site

Search

help

Are anovulatory cycles common when breastfeeding?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 731
Mrs.T Posted: 11-17-2010 12:34 AM

I think this cycle may be anovulatory, even though the previous cycle, which was also my first PP cycle, was most definitely ovulatory. I have NEVER had an anovulatory cycle the entire 18 months I had charted prior to my pregnancy. I am still nursing at least 10 times in 24 hours, and DS has been going through a growth spurt so he's nursing longer than usual as well. Could this trigger a halt to ovulation? Maybe ovulation has been delayed? What changes have you noticed in your cycle lengths while bfing? I never used to ovulate later than CD 19 or 20...and it's CD 20 right now and I have had no signs at all.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Breastfeeding, bedsharing, super crunchy SAHM to my beautiful son Heart

TTA for at least a year or two...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 548
thatwave replied on 11-18-2010 3:55 AM

Yes it is common to stop ovulating while regularly breast feeding. Some people even rely on it as a form of birth control and some women don't have a period until they wean their babies. If you have the TCOYF book, it goes into detail about this and how safe it is as a form of BC, etc....

pregnancy calendar

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,407
mstrinity replied on 11-18-2010 9:02 AM

I think I may have had one anovulatory cycle post-partum (I started cycling again 4 months pp and we're now at 14 months).

Prebaby I ovulated between, oh CD 11-14ish. In the first 6 months or so when I started cycling again post partum, I didn't ovulate until around CD20-CD22. Also, my luteal phase shortened dramatically. 

Now, after about 6 months or so of cycles post partum, things had more or less returned closer to my normal. I'm ovulating closer to CD14 and my LP is around 13 days (prebaby it was 15-16).

I have definitely heard from other women who have had anovulatory cycles post partum and I don't think its anything to worry about - totally normal :) Just wanted to share the details of my experience.

~ T

DD born 9/09/09, baby #2 due September 2011

I paper-chart, but I loaded a couple of my interesting charts to share:

my charts (triphasic pregnancy and post-partum)

Not Ranked
Posts 731
Mrs.T replied on 11-18-2010 6:00 PM

Thanks. I figured since I had already had one "normal" cycle the rest would go back to what I am used to. I'm glad I'm charting again, or I'd be terrified if AF ends up being late!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2,244
Onebabysofar replied on 11-18-2010 6:24 PM

I am EBF and had my PPAF about a week after I had EWCM.  I hadn't started charting again but I suspected that I had O'ed.  I just finished my second cycle PP and it was my very first annov cycle ever in the 30 or so charts I have.  Ironically it was a 28 day cycle but just no temp rise.  I just finished AF and am curious if I will have another annov cycle.  I am actually eager to TTC again soon so I am hoping that I see a temp rise this time. 

My children. The ones that are here and the ones that met God before they met me. My journey with recurrent miscarriages, pregnancy, my faith, and my life.

Maria (34)  Old Charts

TTC #3    Current Charts

Not Ranked
Posts 731
Mrs.T replied on 11-19-2010 9:13 PM

I wish the charting while breastfeeding buddy group was more active!!! it's so helpful to talk to others who are going through this, thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
fivefootrachel replied on 11-27-2010 1:36 PM

I just got my first anovulatory cycle I've ever charted too. Been charting for almost 4 years minus the 18mo for my two pregnancies. Was surprised to see AF today since I haven't had a temp rise, just one patch of creamy CM around CD12-17. Still exclusively breastfeeding but my little 3 mo old man is sleeping through the night most nights so I'm guessing that's why I'm cycling but not ovulating.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS