help

reaction to fluoride treatment???

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 6,608
lawree Posted: 02-01-2009 3:22 PM
Has anyone had or heard of someone having a reaction to fluoride treatments like at the dentists office. We took the kids to the dentist on Thursday, about half an hour later I noticed hives starting to appear on Seamus's face. I thought it was just a random rash since he gets them sometimes. The next morning they were bigger and darker and when I was talking to my mom about it she suggested maybe it was the fluoride treatment from the dentist. I called the office and they doubted that it was since he had had the treatment twice before with no reaction, but said it could be or it could be to latex.

I was frustrated not knowing what he was getting hives from and not wanting to deal with another allergy. [&:] Last night he had the same reaction, hives started about 15 minutes after brushing his teeth. The hygienist had used the new toothbrush they gave him to do his fluoride treatment at the office and he used that brush last night to brush his teeth. I gave him benadryl and it helped, but now I am left to wonder could he really be reacting to the fluoride treatment, I have never heard of that before. He uses a fluoride free toothpaste because of his age, but our water if fluoridated. I really don't know what to do now.
Not Ranked
Posts 4,767
andrea2002 replied on 02-02-2009 11:20 PM
Latex is a protein...it is on the toothbrush if she touched it. They use latex free on DS because he was GFCFSF and sensitive to every protein.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 8,311
Paradox replied on 02-03-2009 12:15 AM
It could be latex or an ingredient in the fluoride they used. I would bring it up with your pediatrician at his next visit. You might also ask them for the ingredients in their fluoride treatments so you can narrow things down.

Karen (36) and DH (36) and our 3 beautiful boys!

Angel 10/2003 10 weeks Angel 01/2010  8 weeks

Not Ranked
Posts 371
KellyO19 replied on 02-03-2009 11:32 AM
If DS is still reacting, keep up with benadryl until rash clears up, he may be on it for a few days. To make sure you get right dose based on weight, check with pharmacist or the clinic's allergy nurse. Ask for dentist ingredients in fluoride treatment, then see if you want to do specific allergy testing. At his age it should be a blood test (skin tests are not reliable
Not Ranked
Posts 6,608
lawree replied on 02-03-2009 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone. I will call and the the information from his dentist about the ingredients in the fluoride stuff then discuss it with his allergy/asthma doctor at his appointment next month. Poor guy is having a rough time lately, but he seems better today.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS