help

maca pills or powder? root or extract?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 642
erin7707 Posted: 10-02-2010 6:52 PM

I've been trying to read up on Maca.. I don't know if I should try it this next cycle or not. It's kind of tough because I don't really want to waste the money on it until I know AF comes, but at the same time, I will have to order it so I won't be able to start it on CD 1.. So AF is likely coming either tomorrow or Monday. Should I bother wasting the time to order it and have it not get here until CD 5 or 6? That probably wouldn't help me out any, would it? I dont' have any health food stores around me.. and I doubt walmart sells it. haha

Second question is, should I get it in capsules or powder? Pills seem much easier?

Third is, should I get the maca root or extract?

I ordered preseed.. I plan on buying b6 to lengthen my LP a couple days, it's only at 11 or 12 now.. Should I even bother with maca? I dont get very much EWCM, but I was hoping the preseed would help with that.. I dont' want to overload myself on supplements, but at the same time I want to do what I can to help increase our chances!
Thanks!

DH-28 Kiss Me-27

Baby #2 due 11-28-11!!  

My Chart   

Not Ranked
Posts 59
julieart replied on 10-02-2010 8:00 PM

I can't say anything (yet) in regards to how it works because I just started taking Maca. As far as your other questions regarding it...  I bought it in powder form.  I really don't notice the taste much, I put it in smoothies.  I wanted something to mix in instead of having to take another pill.  I bought the powdered root.  I've only been taking it this month (almost at the end of the month for me now).  My temps this month have evened out abit (they are usually all over the place) but I don't know if that is due to the maca or b6.  I've been taking b6 now going on 3 months (this is the end of my 3rd month).  

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 642
erin7707 replied on 10-02-2010 8:21 PM

have you found the b6 to help at all?

DH-28 Kiss Me-27

Baby #2 due 11-28-11!!  

My Chart   

Not Ranked
Posts 59
julieart replied on 10-02-2010 10:41 PM

Honestly? I haven't noticed anything yet.....but I've read moreoften than not that it takes a few months of taking it before you see any changes? My cycles are so out of whack.  I'm due to start clomid when AF starts up (although I was secretly hoping that all the stars would align and I'd get pregnant this one last month before taking it )   I haven't been ovulating (or at least I don't think so) so there really isn't any way for me to see if its lengthened my LP or anything else.  I will say that I think it may have helped with one thing.   I have carpal tunnel in my one wrist/hand since becoming pregnant with my daughter (and it never went away) and I read some article about B6 helping that so I figured maybe it would be a win-win all around?   I have noticed that my symptoms have been slightly relieved.  I'm taking 100mg.  I take it in the evening, after the first month I became quite nauseas so thought it better to take before I went to sleep and didn't notice feeling so icky.  I wish I had more concrete info for you, but I'm a newbie taking both B6 and the Maca.  The maca, to me, does have a wee bit of a taste, kind of a "woodsy" taste (?) for lack of a better description...I'm not shy with giving my tastebuds some zing and new/different flavors so it doesn't bother me at all, the taste.  If you're tastebuds are more sensitive then I would probably say go for the pill form.

Not Ranked
Posts 1,353
kjsmama replied on 10-03-2010 3:57 PM

I took maca powder (bought it at Whole Foods).  I found that the only way I could get it down was with a tropical juice blend.  I think I used Dole's banana pineapple from the refridgerated section of the grocery store.  I stired until it was mixed and then chugged it.  My cycles were completely wacked when I weaned DS at 2 yo.  I think the maca really helped.

We conceived DS and DD with preseed so I'm a big fan.

Baby Dust

Not Ranked
Posts 168
mia081081 replied on 10-04-2010 5:21 PM

I took Maca this month and I found that it really evened out my temperatures. I bought the pill form (root powder) at Whole Foods and took 1 or 2 a day. I also had 18(!) days of EWCF, which might also be due to my 1 - 2 cups of green tea or to the Maca. Or both. Maca may also have made me O earlier, or I may just be regulating after coming off BCP. My last cycle was 51 days, and I ovulated about a week earlier this time. This cycle looks like it's going to be 46 days.

But my favorite thing about maca was what it did for my husband. Because I had EWCF for so long, we had to BD quite a bit before I actually O-ed. Maca is supposed to increase the volume and quality of semen. I think it totally worked on him and he really liked it! 

I'm only 1 DPO, but I would recommend Maca, especially if you're looking for more EWCF.

My Chart

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 642
erin7707 replied on 10-04-2010 6:14 PM

dont you have to start taking it on CD 1 tho? I wouldn't get it til like CD 7 if I ordered it tonight

DH-28 Kiss Me-27

Baby #2 due 11-28-11!!  

My Chart   

Not Ranked
Posts 59
julieart replied on 10-04-2010 7:19 PM

You know what? I've JUST noticed the same thing (about the EWCM)!  I was thinking what the heck...I'm on about day 6 of it.   I don't drink green tea currently, just started taking the maca this month (I'm about 1/2 way thru a month of taking it).  Guess that might be it!!?

Not Ranked
Posts 168
mia081081 replied on 10-05-2010 9:06 AM

I started taking it around CD 8 or 9, but as you can see I have the longest cycles ever. I would say that it couldn't hurt to try. Do you have a natural food store or Whole Foods nearby where you can just pick it up?

julieart - Yeah, it wasn't just a little each day.  There was lots of it all the time. Hoping that it all makes a difference this month :)

Not Ranked
Posts 324
lildarling76 replied on 10-07-2010 1:23 PM

I actually starting taking maca during an annovulatory cycle on day 40 something.  After a week on it, I ovulated for the first time since April!  I am going to take it again this cycle along with my Clomid so I hope everything aligns.   Good luck.  Oh I also take the pill and give it to my hubby as well.  It defiantly made things better then they already were!  heheLaugh

Me (34) Hubby (31)

TTC#4 since 4/10 annovulatroy cycles

Baby Boy DS 101700 total surprise on BCP

Baby Boy DS 110905 1st mnth TTC

Baby Boy DS 092807 after 1 yr TTC, 1st round of Clomid 50 mg

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/lildarling76/charts/5.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 324
lildarling76 replied on 10-07-2010 1:31 PM

I actually starting taking maca during an annovulatory cycle on day 40 something.  After a week on it, I ovulated for the first time since April!  I am going to take it again this cycle along with my Clomid so I hope everything aligns.   Good luck.  Oh I also take the pill and give it to my hubby as well.  It defiantly made things better then they already were!  heheLaugh

Me (34) Hubby (31)

Not Ranked
Posts 324
lildarling76 replied on 10-07-2010 1:57 PM

Me (34) Hubby (31)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS