help

poop suddenly smells like dead fish?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 2,154
rutheart Posted: 08-06-2009 12:20 PM
I feel silly asking a poop question, but this never happened with my oldest.
My 1 month old is exclusively breastfed and her poop is the normal seedy yellow appearance, sometimes mucousy, but otherwise normal. Last night though, the smell changed abruptly from normal baby poop to what my husband describes as "catfish". To me, it smells like something died in her diaper.

Is it something I ate? The only things different lately is she got her first immunization (hep b) on Monday and she started acting fussy yesterday. She's normally very laid-back, but she acted like she was constantly hungry, yet would fall asleep at the *** within a couple minutes, so I spent most the day alternating between offering her *** and putting her down to sleep again. This morning I actually had to wake her up to eat since she'd slept so long (which I haven't had to do since we left the hospital, I think). She also has had a rash for a week or so. The ped saw it on Monday and said it wasn't a "scary" rash though, thinking it was maybe eczema and to just keep an eye on it.

FWIW, I already called the ped's office and they said it wasn't worth it to bring her in for just a change in smell, even though I mentioned the change in behavior. They just said to call back for an appt if it changes color, turns into diarrhea, or if she runs a fever. Maybe I am just an overworried mommy. I was just hoping one of you might have had a similar change in poop smell and could tell me if you ever figured out what caused it.

Ruth

8 years of infertility, miscarriage, and high risk pregnancies...

Making it all worthwhile:

DD#1 12/04

DD#2 6/09

Not Ranked
Posts 2,154
rutheart replied on 08-06-2009 9:14 PM
She's got green stringy diarrhea now.
Ruth

DD#1 12/04

DD#2 6/09

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 1,854
Sweetsmurf replied on 08-06-2009 10:39 PM
I don't remember if my DD's diapers ever smelled like that. I know her poops changed depending on what I ate since I also exclusively b/f'd. I found she had runny poops (more so than normal) when I had juices. For some reason if I drank any type of juice, it upset her.

Did you eat any fish recently? Anything that may be strong smelling? I think asparagus can cause strong smelling pee if you eat it, so I'm not sure what it would do to a baby's poop.

I'm like you, I worry about a lot of things. If your more concerned now that she has diarrhea, take her to see a dr, if only to put your mind at ease.

Does Georgia have a health line to call if you have questions about someone's health? In Ontario, Canada, we have a 1-800 # to call called Telehealth. You speak to a nurse and explain your concerns, they ask you some questions then give you a recommendation as to whether it is something to treat at home, or if you should see a dr in a couple of days or go see a dr immediately. If you have something like that, it might make you feel better as well. I found even calling them has put my mind at ease in the past.

Good luck and I hope your adorable little girl is ok [hug]

M/C - Sept 22/09 - 12wks2days Angel

Life is funny. It can make you inexplicably happy, and also inexplicably sad. It can knock you down so that you feel you won't be able to carry on any longer, but then you find the strength to pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and carry on, stronger than before.

Not Ranked
Posts 616
Snowy325 replied on 08-07-2009 12:56 AM
Sounds very much like a stomach bug to me...because of it smelling so different (I remember the smell as a really sweet/sickly smell - very different to the norm)
Not Ranked
Posts 2,154
rutheart replied on 08-07-2009 7:06 AM
I had pork chops and butternut squash that night, followed later by a bowl of Kashi cereal with milk. The only new thing was the Kashi cereal...my older DD is allergic to rice (and so was my DH when he was little).
Anyway, we don't eat seafood, due to my DH's strong allergy. I end up getting fish about twice a year, when I eat out without him (even kissing him afterward can send him into anaphylatic shock), so I haven't had any since the baby was born.
I polled the her 2 grandmas last night,and one thought it sounds like a virus, and the other thought it must be something I ate.
Ruth

DD#1 12/04

DD#2 6/09

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 8,102
O.B. Nurse replied on 08-07-2009 10:46 AM
Im guessing since it happened to abruptly, it must be a virus of some sort. If it doesnt go away in a few days, then maybe consider a milk allergy or intoerance. DS had the same symptoms and turns out his was related to a milk intolerance from my diet. I had to stop all milk products while I BF'ed him.

My Chart: http://www.tcoyf.com/members/O.B.-Nurse/pccharts/default.aspx

Baby DustTTC # 2 Since January 2011Baby Dust

Tristan was Breastfed for 13 months & 1 week

Tristan - 3 years old

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS