help

Pain after sonohysterography?

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 272
ttcesqnyc Posted: 08-20-2010 4:43 PM

I"m not sure if anyone here will be able to comment on this, but I thought I'd check.

I went off BCP last October, and since then have been having midcycle spotting (~ 5-8 days each time).  My new ob/gyn sent me in for a sonogram today to make sure there was nothing mechanically wrong that could be causing the spotting and (unbeknowst to me) instructed the tech to do a saline ultrasound as well.  The tech explained that I might have some "mild" cramping when the saline was injected (mild?  LAUGH), but that I should be fine afterwards except for leaking fluid.

Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.  The cramping during the procedure was pretty severe, and only got worse as the day went on.  I attempted to go to work after the procedure, and was doubled over with pain and attempting to "breathe through it" for about an hour before I gave up and went home.  At home, I took 800mg of Advil, and I'm no longer doubling over with cramping pain, but the pain is still pretty intense (and different).

As long as I'm sitting or lying down, it's bearable, but the second I stand or walk, I get sharp, jolting pains primarily on my right side, though they're present in the center and left as well.  It honestly reminds me a little bit of the pain I used to get w/ kidney infections, only this is localized lower and at the front instead of the back.  Putting any sort of pressure on my abdomen is a no go as well unless I want a jolt of pain.

My doctor's office is closed (of course ::sigh::), and I tried calling the nurse line for my insurance co., but the woman I spoke with wasn't tremendously helpful (she had never heard of the procedure), and recommended that I go to the ER (I'm presuming to cover herself in case something was seriously wrong).  I'd REALLY prefer NOT to go the ER if I can help it, so I guess I'm hoping someone else here has had similar symptoms after a sonohysterography and can tell me that this is "normal" and will pass.

Any help?

TIA  Flowers

ttcesqnyc(29) | H(28)
"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." Horace Mann, 1859

myTCOYF PCCharts™

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 8,850
ThreePrinces replied on 08-20-2010 4:50 PM

Hi there,

I have never had pain with any of my HSGs.

however, after my sonohysterogram (saline ultrasound).....yikes.  I felt fine during the procedure.  Aftward, I felt fine at first.  Walked out to my car, got in, went home.  After about an hour, suddenly I was really crampy.  It felt like really awful gas pains.  I thought it was scar tissue breaking up maybe; since I've had several abdominal surgeries.  Mine was pretty centered maybe at about the pubic bone area.  This was about a year ago, and I recall just lying on my bed in pain for a couple of hours and then it went away.

Has long has your pain been going on?

TTC (this time) since February 2008.  Long history of Secondary Infertility.

June 13, 2011:  BFP on 12dpo!  Due exactly 4 years after I began TTC.

chart:  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16c283

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is permanent.

Not Ranked
Posts 272
ttcesqnyc replied on 08-20-2010 4:54 PM

Wow - thanks for you're quick response!  Smile

I had the procedure at around 10:00 this morning, left work around 11:30, and finally broke down at took the ibuprofen around 2:30.

I was supposed to be out in CT tonight at a beach dinner party at the home of one of the partners at H's firm, but there's no way I can stand without grimacing a bit, let alone walk around and still be civil to people.  Sad

ttcesqnyc(29) | H(28)
"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity." Horace Mann, 1859

myTCOYF PCCharts™

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS