help

Diaper rash from pee?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 348
SweetRenée Posted: 08-20-2010 1:05 AM

My baby developed a sudden rash that came about after a wet diaper.  No poo, just pee.  I've heard of babies getting burns from their own pee, but I've never experienced this before.  He's 10 mos old and I am very good about changing him often, so he rarely even gets a rash at all, unless a food sensitivity.  I'm wondering if lack of water might be the cause?  It's been very hot this week and I gave him regular sips of water for the hottest days, but have been slacking off on it now that it's cooled down a bit.  I breastfeed, so I don't give him that much water and I don't give him any juice.  Water deficiency is all I can think of to have caused this pee rash.  Does anyone have any experience keeping a pee rash away?  I'm not quite sure what else it could be.

TIA,

Renee

Me (37) & DH (34)  -  In love since 1998 / Married since 2001

DS Cool born 7/92  - Hospital birth w/ epidural

DS Baby Boy born 10/09  - Home birth w/ Hypnobabies

DD Baby Girl expected 8/30/11 - Planning home birth w/ Hypnobabies

8/08 Stopped HBC  -  11/08 Began charting  -  12/08 TTC  -  1/09 BFP  -  10/09 Birth  -  3/10 Fertility returns  -  7/10 Charting again TTA while BF  -  12/10 TTC while BF  -  Christmas BFP!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2,916
yvonnemari replied on 08-20-2010 6:34 AM

Oh sure. You can get a rash from just pee. You can get any kind of rash from being wet for long periods of time. Add to that (if you have it) the humidity of the summer air, and your babe's bum is just not as dry as it should be.

First though, do you cloth diaper? If so, make sure your dipes are getting 100% sanitized. You will definitely give your LO rashes from urine contacting old germs still left in the dipe.

Second, how are you wiping? Do you wipe for both pee and poo? How hard do you rub? How soft are the wipes? There is generally no need to wipe off just urine thought you may want to pat dry or air dry before putting on a new dipe. If you wear away too much skin wiping, that too will allow rashes to develop. So be very careful about wiping. Be soft and use soft.

Third, yes some foods will make the urine more acidic or "sweet" and you will get rashes from that as well. Try to change the dipes more often to get clean air in and clean surface on baby's bum. If you are also the rash/fever blister type person (more susceptible than others), your LO might be this way too. These people have a very delicate skin balance that must be maintained or they "break out" with a rash or cold sores, etc. You may what to look into something that maintains your child's Ph balance. Talk to a doc about testing the urine for acidity (you should be able to get some kind of litmus paper to test with) and then work to regain balance.

HTH!

Yvonne (42), DH (36), DS (2yrs), DD (1yr)

TTC #3 - YAY!! Finally Baby Dust

DD - recovering from Liver Failure (1/18/11; unknown etiology). March labs = HIGH, April labs = HIGH, May labs = normal YAY!!, June labs = Normal, cautiously optimistic Smile... Keep up the good work Baby Girl!!! Mama wants to see 3-4 more of those before I exhale. Yes

My TCOYF Chart

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 4,964
piper replied on 08-20-2010 7:21 AM

It could also be heat rash - If he is really hot and has a wet diaper against his skin could cause some redness

me: 35 Kiss  DH: 44

Baby Boy Sept 2008 - IVF/ICSI

Baby Girl March 2011 - au natural

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 1,854
Sweetsmurf replied on 08-20-2010 9:04 AM

I just wanted to throw something else out there. 

You mentioned your b/f'ing your DS, well, when I was still b/f'ing my DD, I noticed sometimes that she got rashes when I ate or drank certain things.  This tended to happen more often when I had something like any acidic fruit.  Apple and grape juice were the worst. It took me a couple of times to notice the connection, but something to think about. 

Yvonne, I just wanted to thank you for the tip about air drying or patting for just a pee diaper.  I've been wiping (though usually not really hard or too much) and DD has been pretty prone to rashes.  Gonna try that to see if it helps her.  Though the heat and her sweating I'm sure don't help.

M/C - Sept 22/09 - 12wks2days Angel

Life is funny. It can make you inexplicably happy, and also inexplicably sad. It can knock you down so that you feel you won't be able to carry on any longer, but then you find the strength to pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and carry on, stronger than before.

Not Ranked
Posts 1,017
younggrasshper replied on 08-23-2010 10:56 PM

You haven't changed wipes lately have you? My DS and a friends 2 DS's both developed a rash after using pampers wipes, so now it is only Huggies for us!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS