help

Anal Fissures in 4 year old boy

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7,888
mcmommy Posted: 08-02-2010 10:56 PM

Has anyone dealt with anal fissures in a child before?

I think that my son has an anal fissure and have been trying to help him through the experience until it heals but it is taking a very long time.  Pooping seems to be excruciating for him and I'm pretty sure he is holding it in, sometimes for up to 3 days at a time.

I give him Colace before bed every night and make sure he gets lots of fibre during the day and tons of water to support it.  We've been doing this since the end of June at least and while it seems to have gotten a tiny bit better (TMI alert:  blood used to drip into the toilet, now it doesn't drip, just is on the tp when he wipes), it still is not enough to make me stop worrying.

I have not been to a doctor yet because our gp is hard to get to and recently cut his hours back to 2 days per week.  Also, I don't want to waste the time it will take to get in with the dr. just for him to tell me to do what I've been doing already.

Do you have any tips for me?  Should I take my son to a walk in clinic ASAP?

Amber & Jon

Baby Boy8 Baby Boy6 Baby Boy4 Baby Girl2

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 08-03-2010 10:15 AM

As this seems to be an ongoing issue I'd see someone. If you feel your Ped would say keep doing what you're doing and there are still problems at this point I'd see someone else. It isn't working. There are other meds, creams, diets that may be of benefit. I have nephews with this issue, for one it is chronic and he stays on meds(5) and two it is intermittent and happens when their parents don't pay attention to what they eats or how often they go (5 and 4).

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4,653
mrss replied on 08-03-2010 4:00 PM

I agree with PP.  I would take him in.  I was talking to a woman at church whose DS was having a similar problem.  At first his doctor thought it was being caused by allergies, but later he was referred to a pediatric gastroenterologist.

Not Ranked
Posts 1,644
lamama replied on 08-04-2010 5:48 PM

I'd try Miralax. Kids who get fissures usually have hard stools. That's why the fissure is there. Colace isn't that great. But Miralax is once daily and makes the stool very soft. Plus you can give a bit more or less until you find the right amount. It doesn't cause dependence like some meds do and it isn't a stimulant. It works by drawing more water into the bowel to soften the stool. Kids who are seriously constipated are like that because their bowels take too much water out of the poop, leaving it dry and hard. Very difficult to fix, especially for picky eaters. The Miralax counters that.

The biggest thing is, once you get the poop soft, DON'T STOP GIVING THE MIRALAX. Continue to give it daily. If there is diarrhea, you can back down on the daily dose, but if you quit entirely, you'll be back to square 1. Serious constipation isn't one of those things you treat until the poop is soft, then quit. It requires daily, ongoing therapy, because once you stop the meds, the bowels will go back to taking all the water out of the poop and voila, hard stools again.

Not Ranked
Posts 1,181
girn replied on 08-04-2010 6:32 PM

I second the Miralax.  And I would also take him in.  There are prescription creams they can give to aid in healing it up.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 7,888
mcmommy replied on 08-05-2010 2:47 AM

Thanks for your responses, everyone!

I'm going to take him in on Monday, when my 2 oldest boys are at camp - then I only have to sit in the waiting room for hours with 2 kiddos.  :)

Amber & Jon

Baby Boy8 Baby Boy6 Baby Boy4 Baby Girl2

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,606
EmmiH replied on 08-06-2010 11:23 PM

My son has rectal prolapse, we have him on Miralax and Fiber supplements per doc orders but I would def take your son in and get it looked at. 

Me (29)   DH (32)   DS (6)  + 6 Angel

8 years unexplained infertility:
- 9 IUIS - 1 chem preg,
               - the rest BFN  
- 2 HSG test (2003 & 2009) - both normal
- 2 SIS test (2009 & 2010) - both normal

RPL testing  - Normal
Karyotyping -  Normal; results on our daughter I m/c'd -  Normal

- IVF #1    Feb '10; 2 blast transferred -  Angel  @ 5 wks

- IVF #2    June '10; 3 blast transferred - Angel @ 4w5d

- IVF #3 (FET)    Aug '10; 3 blast transferred - Angel lost our baby girl

-IVF #4 (FET)    Dec '10; 2 blast transferred - Angel @ 5w2d

Found out I am a carrier of MTHFR (2 copies of C677T)  

IVF #5 - ER June 30.  ET 7/5  Please God let this work Pray Pray

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS