help

Taking a break between IUI and IVF?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,409
silverdollar Posted: 07-31-2010 8:16 PM

I am currently doing my 3rd consecutive IUI cycle with injectable stims.  I am really hoping we get lucky this time but if we are not successful we'll be moving on to IVF. I am trying to decide whether I would want to take a cycle off before starting IVF or to just go straight into it. Has anyone else gone straight from IUI to IVF or have any helpful tips?

Me -33 DH -33 TTC #1 since 2008. Text book regular cycles, great temp charts & well timed intercourse. All initial diagnostics normal. Started as unexplained IF, now high FSH/ DOR.

• Jan -March 2010 3 rounds of Clomid + timed intercourse
  • April 2010 Laparoscopy & hysteroscopy . Stage 1 (mild) endometriosis, and a small uterine polyp removed.
  • June 2010 IUI #1 with Letrozole, early ovulation of one lonely follicle due to high FSH levels. Told about low ovarian reserve.
  • July 2010 IUI #2 with Gonal-F, responded well with 3 mature follicles
  • Aug 2010 IUI #3 with Gonal-F, responded really well 4 equally mature follicles.
  • Oct 2010 IVF attempt #1 Microflare Protocol: CANCELED/converted to IUI d/t poor response (4 follicles) and lining issue
  • 4 months of DHEA and hysteroscopy D&C Feb 8th to clean up the lining
  • March 2011 IVF attempt #2 Natural Start Antagonist Protocol-CANCELED d/t dominant follicle and low follicle count (3)
  • April 2011 IVF attempt #3 Estrogen Priming Protocol with Antagonist -AFC =4, 3 follicles responded, 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature and fertilized, 2 high grade embryos to transfer. Lining perfect in thickness and pattern. April 23 (11dp3dt) beta =236 April 26 (14dp3dt) beta =1167 -BFP!!! We did it, we beat the odds.

Follow my Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 7,623
southernbelle replied on 07-31-2010 8:29 PM

I took a break for a couple of cycles but it was more because I was changing RE's at the time.  I think it's a good idea.  IVF carries its own stressors and a cycle or two of not thinking about anything having to do with TTC would be healthy, IMO.

Good luck!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 97
pinkroses replied on 07-31-2010 8:57 PM

i went from an injectable cycle that my RE guessed it would be converted to a "hot" ivf cycle bc he was upping my dose of stims.  i did get 7 follicles but my e2 level was only 85 at most so the cycle was canceled to do either iui or timed intercourse.  we did timed intercouse and it was a BFN.  i ended up going straight into an ivf cycle bc i was prepared for it happening already.  my RE had me take bcp for a month (to let my ovaries rest and i have irregular cycles so this helped time the lupron better anyway) and then do lupron followed by stims- so even going straight into the ivf cycle took almost a month and a half before stims started so i had lots of time to get ready in my head.  i am the kind of person that does better without breaks so this was better for me.  some people need breaks in between so it just depends on what your personality is like and what you "feel" is right for you.  i have been pretty aggressive with my treatment and my RE has been great  with me but it did take some "processing" time for me to really feel like i need ivf and to just do it. i am in the 2ww now and i have my beta on tuesday but i have gotten a BFP on an hpt yesterday and today.  i am hoping it sticks but my problem is recurrent miscarriage and lately infertility so this is the first time i've said that i got a BFP "out loud" except to my husband. my RE was right and he said my odds are better with ivf so i should just do it and he could pick out the best embryos to transfer.  you should do what is right for you.  i did really well coping with the ivf and i was pretty calm.  even my dh and friends have said i have been more calm than since starting infertility treatment.  i could tell i was mentally ready to just do it.  if that means going without a break then you should go for it.  if you need more time to mentally process it then you should take a break.  just go with your gut feeling. i wish you luck with whatever you decide and i will keep my eyes and ears open on your progress!

Me (35),  Husband (38),  DS (2) born May 2007

Blood tests revealed homozygous MTHFR C677T after 2nd m/c.  I'm now full of B vitamins!

Currently TTC #2 (since Nov 08)-  On folic acid, aspirin, lovenox and progesterone- Dec 09

missed m/c at 15 wks- April 06, missed m/c at 12 wks- April 09, m/c at 7 wks- Oct 09, chemical pregnancy- May 2010

Starting IVF#1- July 2010 after 4 failed femara/injectable cycles, ER 7/19/10, ET- 7/24/10- 7 eggs mature, 7 fertilized.  2 transferred, 2 frozen

8/3/10- BFP! Hcg- 546

8/5/10- Hcg- 1236

8/9/10- Hcg- 6792   Please, please, please stick!

8/25/10- U/S scheduled

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,409
silverdollar replied on 07-31-2010 10:22 PM

Thanks for your input.

Pinkroses -sticky vibes to you!

For me so far, 2010 has involved 3 clomid cycles in Jan, Feb, & March; surgery in April; and 3 IUI's in June, July, & Aug. I have my head around the possibility of IVF but I feel like maybe a rest for a cycle might help me feel like I have more energy to put towards it. My birthday and wedding anniversary, and TTC anniversary are all coming up in a few weeks and it would be really nice to not be in the throes of another treatment cycle. On the other hand I waited 7 months for the first appointment with the RE and 3 more months to start treatment, so it seems crazy to want to put things on hold.

Me -33 DH -33 TTC #1 since 2008. Text book regular cycles, great temp charts & well timed intercourse. All initial diagnostics normal. Started as unexplained IF, now high FSH/ DOR.

• Jan -March 2010 3 rounds of Clomid + timed intercourse
  • April 2010 Laparoscopy & hysteroscopy . Stage 1 (mild) endometriosis, and a small uterine polyp removed.
  • June 2010 IUI #1 with Letrozole, early ovulation of one lonely follicle due to high FSH levels. Told about low ovarian reserve.
  • July 2010 IUI #2 with Gonal-F, responded well with 3 mature follicles
  • Aug 2010 IUI #3 with Gonal-F, responded really well 4 equally mature follicles.
  • Oct 2010 IVF attempt #1 Microflare Protocol: CANCELED/converted to IUI d/t poor response (4 follicles) and lining issue
  • 4 months of DHEA and hysteroscopy D&C Feb 8th to clean up the lining
  • March 2011 IVF attempt #2 Natural Start Antagonist Protocol-CANCELED d/t dominant follicle and low follicle count (3)
  • April 2011 IVF attempt #3 Estrogen Priming Protocol with Antagonist -AFC =4, 3 follicles responded, 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature and fertilized, 2 high grade embryos to transfer. Lining perfect in thickness and pattern. April 23 (11dp3dt) beta =236 April 26 (14dp3dt) beta =1167 -BFP!!! We did it, we beat the odds.

Follow my Blog

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 912
laurenAZ replied on 08-01-2010 10:39 AM

I moved directly from my failed IUI cycle into IVF.  I was in the 2WW of the IUI cycle when I got my high FSH diagnosis.  When AF inevitably arrived, we had three days to decide if were going to move to IVF (and start BCP on CD3).

For me it was more of a mental decision than a physical one.  I'd been struggling with depression ever since my m/c in September, and I already felt like I'd waited so long for a baby that I just couldn't face taking a break.  So we moved to IVF right away.  When the IVF cycle failed, we moved directly to the FET with no break.  I was SO relieved that the doc said I didn't have to wait a cycle between the IVF and the FET.  For me, the mental anguish of waiting was always worse than any of the physical aspects of treatment. 

GL to you.  Flowers

Not Ranked
Posts 782
mkf replied on 08-01-2010 12:55 PM

Its a personal decision, but if you think your mind and body could use a break - take it.  I just took the month of July off from all forms of ttc and it was FABULOUS.  I feel like a new person.  I've regained some perspective on the fact that ttc isn't the ONLY thing in my life.  DH and I took a week off and went away together.  We actually dtd just for fun!!! Big Smile.  I enjoyed having wine guilt-free, had a massage, went for lots of relaxing walks, read a tonne of books (non ttc ones Stick out tongue)  and generally took care of myself.  I feel that I really have healed emotionally a tonne in the last month.  At the end of the prior month I was a bit of an emotional wreck.  It had been a tough year.  Now I'm ready to move onto another IUI and then IVF with a fresh attitude to both ttc, and to myself.

Maria - 37 (ugh, that number keeps growing!!!)

DH - 40

TTC  - on and off since Oct 2006

• Sept 2009 - Clomid _ Progesterone  - BFP!!!
  • Nov 2009 - Angel
  • Dec 2009 - Nov 2010, lots of clomid, injectibles and IUIs - all with BFN.
  • Nov 10 - IVF.  Start injections on 30th Oct. 
  • Nov 23 - BFP!!!  Baby
    • betas: 12dpo - 117; 14dpo - 310; 16dpo - 710.  18dpo 1585
  • Dec 13 - Ultrasound shows TRIPLETS!!! 
    • All measuring on size and with good heartbeats of 115, 117, 119.  BabyBabyBaby
  • 16 week scan shows Baby GirlBaby GirlBaby Boy!  A complete family all in one.
  • 24w scan - babies all measuring ahead in size.  1lb12oz, 1lb14oz, 1lb15 oz.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 633
Parsnipity replied on 08-01-2010 7:24 PM

I would ask your doc whether you'll do 3 (ish) weeks of downregulating with BCPs for the IVF.  That may provide the break you need and be a factor in how long it will be til you're actually trying again.  I've done IVF cycles both with and without, so it can definitely vary.  Meanwhile, here's hoping you don't have to make the decision at all!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS