help

Coughing causes labour?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 1,854
Sweetsmurf Posted: 07-15-2010 10:08 PM

So, of course my whole house caught a regular cold virus.  DH seems to be ok now, but me and DD have been sick longer and we are still suffering.  We are better than we were, but we both are still a bit congested and we both have coughs.  They are the annoying type cough where sometimes you can't seem to stop coughing.  The throat will suddenly start to tickle and you can't stop yourself from coughing.

Then tonight, I was watching tv and started coughing again and DH made the comment that coughing can put me into labour.  Well, I turned to him smiling since I thought he was joking, but he was serious, so I did a quick google search and found that yahoo answer where someone said it can cause labour.  So I came here for confirmation.

Can coughing put a pregnant woman into labour?  I don't think my cough is really bad, I mean, it really hasn't caused any pain in my stomach or ribs from violent coughing, but it is pretty frequent.  I saw my family dr on Monday and my delivering dr on Tuesday and I was coughing then, though maybe not as much as I am now, but they never said anything in warning about it. 

M/C - Sept 22/09 - 12wks2days Angel

Life is funny. It can make you inexplicably happy, and also inexplicably sad. It can knock you down so that you feel you won't be able to carry on any longer, but then you find the strength to pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and carry on, stronger than before.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 17,763
shellymoe replied on 07-16-2010 7:45 AM

Personally, if someone did have a horrible cough and go into labor I would consider that a pure coincidence and nothing more.  I think I've had either an URI or bronchitis with every pregnancy and my OB's never said any such thing to me.

If the cough is keeping you from getting any rest, you could see if your OB would give you a script for Phenergan w/codeine.  That's usually what mine give me and it feels so good to get some rest after being up all night coughing.

Flowers

~Shelly (35)

DH (35)

Katelyn (14), Michael (12), Issac (4), Rebecca (2), Evan (ARR 7/27)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 1,854
Sweetsmurf replied on 07-16-2010 7:59 AM

Thanks Shelly!

I started looking more into it online and most of the reports I see (from other chat rooms) are women who say that their waters have broken after some bad coughing, and obviously baby is born shortly after.  I also ended up on a Washington education document that talks about pre-term labour.  One of the things it suggests is to avoid severe coughing and if you have a bad cough to get a prescription.   http://depts.washington.edu/preterm/preterm.pdf  

Of course this kind of freaked me out since I am of course having some small leaks during some of my coughing.  The worst being yesterday afternoon.  I didn't have a liner on and there was enough I could feel it dribble down my leg (sorry about TMI). I'm pretty sure that it was just incontinence though.  And of course, in my first post I wrote that the coughing really wasn't causing me pain, only to wake up this morning with a bad pinched nerve in my back and the ribs up by the topof my stomach feeling like they are burning. 

Though I know many women have/get bad coughs during pregnancy and are ok, I'm of course being a spaz about this.  I love colds!

M/C - Sept 22/09 - 12wks2days Angel

Life is funny. It can make you inexplicably happy, and also inexplicably sad. It can knock you down so that you feel you won't be able to carry on any longer, but then you find the strength to pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and carry on, stronger than before.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 4,653
mrss replied on 07-16-2010 9:47 AM

I don't know about it causing labor, but I do know when you're learning how to Kiegel and you're unsure of the muscles, you cough because you can then feel the pelvic muscles contract.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,972
CelesteM replied on 07-16-2010 10:56 AM

I asked about this when I had a cough and was told it wasn't an issue - although I do know from experience that coughing can cause back pain, so I'm personally more afraid of that during pregnancy when I can't take ibuprofen, which is the only thing that seems to help with my back spasms once they start. 

I would also advise against taking too seriously any information that comes from Yahoo Answers - I think you could probably find something on there to prove anything that you wanted to. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS