CM after ovulation (TTA)

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 2
sunbirdx Posted: 06-11-2010 12:21 AM

Hey guys,

I have been charting for 15 months (TTA!), and I always seem to have variable discharge after ovulation, ranging from sort-of-creamy to dry, but usually sticky.  I do consider "sticky" my BIP, but I am not sure how to treat these sporadic spots of kind-of-wet, kind-of-sticky CM that I get post temp shift. 

My husband and I are ultra-conservative, using condoms any time pre-O, but if I were to stick to the "three dry days" rule, I would never be able to have unprotected sex!

So what is the deal?  Is it normal to have pretty variable CM after ovulation?  Should I worry about it?  I am always conservative, never having unprotected sex until at least 5 days PO, but I am not a little paranoid to do it at all, since I have such variable CM.

Thanks!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,407
mstrinity replied on 06-11-2010 3:20 PM

Sticky/tacky mucus post-Ovulation is a different type than you get pre-O (though it seems the same). If you have confirmed ovulation by a temp shift and have seen fertile mucus "dry" up, as long as you follow the rules you are fine.

The post-O sticky/tacky mucus is caused by rising progesterone from the corpus luteum (where the egg bursts from). It does not have fertile qualities, in fact it lacks the channels that help sperm swim and some people think that it functions to plug-up the cervix as a protective agent. It's called "g-mucus" by some and if you google it you will find more info. Also there is a good excerpt of it in the book "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" that you could read quickly at a bookstore (I believe the term g-mucus is in the index).

~ T

DD born 9/09/09, baby #2 due September 2011

I paper-chart, but I loaded a couple of my interesting charts to share:

my charts (triphasic pregnancy and post-partum)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,407
mstrinity replied on 06-11-2010 3:25 PM

Here is the link to the book on amazon. If you click on the "search inside this book" and go to page 404 you will read the description of g-mucus. Hope that helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Bodies-Wisdom-Christiane-Northrup/dp/0553382098

~ T

DD born 9/09/09, baby #2 due September 2011

I paper-chart, but I loaded a couple of my interesting charts to share:

my charts (triphasic pregnancy and post-partum)

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS