Archive Site

Search

help

Cake Mishap--Forgot to Grease the Pan...Cake ruined?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3,908
zzdeleted8910 Posted: 05-22-2010 10:13 AM

I wasn't thinking this morning and forgot to grease the round cake pans for my chocolate cake.  I am making it for a party for my students this afternoon.  Once it cools, am I going to be able to get it out without destroying it, or should I go ahead and bake another cake?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 8,850
ThreePrinces replied on 05-22-2010 2:32 PM

Put it in the freezer for a little bit (still in pan, of course.)  Then, take a knife and gently loosen it around the sides.  Then invert it onto a wire rack and tap the bottom and sides of the pan with the handle of a knife.  You may still get some places where it's torn and stuck to the pan but with enough frosting filling in the gaps, it should be fine.

For future reference, I always grease my pans with shortening (put it on thick with a pastry brush), flour sides and bottom, and then sometimes put parchment paper along the bottom too.

TTC (this time) since February 2008.  Long history of Secondary Infertility.

June 13, 2011:  BFP on 12dpo!  Due exactly 4 years after I began TTC.

chart:  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16c283

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is permanent.

Not Ranked
Posts 420
janmom replied on 05-22-2010 3:45 PM

Was it a cake mix or homemeade with butter? If a mix made with oil, you can depan while still hot, using a knife along the sides and a small spatula to ease the bottom. There will be some tearing, but frosting can cover up a multitude of issues Wink, (unless you're doing a liquid ganache pour) If homemeade with butter, the pp's freezer trick (in the freezer until firm but nor frozen) with the same knife and spatula easing should do the trick. A nice thick chocolate frosting should take care of the rest. Luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh, and if it tears and chunks hopelessly, make a trifle! Layer the cake pieces in a pretty bowl alternately with freshly whipped cream, berries, and chocolate or berry sauce ending with a layer of whipped cream dc=ecorated with a berry or two. Yum! And no one's the wiser to your mishap Laugh

Not Ranked
Posts 1,181
girn replied on 05-22-2010 9:12 PM

janmom:

Oh, and if it tears and chunks hopelessly, make a trifle! Layer the cake pieces in a pretty bowl alternately with freshly whipped cream, berries, and chocolate or berry sauce ending with a layer of whipped cream dc=ecorated with a berry or two. Yum! And no one's the wiser to your mishap Laugh

Ooh, does that sound delicious!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 5,092
mamarti1 replied on 05-22-2010 10:46 PM

Cakes are easiest to remove while still warm, so I hope it comes out!
If not, you can make cake balls!!

http://www.bakerella.com/category/pops-bites/cake-balls/

These can be made with almost any combo of cake and frosting :) 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3,908
zzdeleted8910 replied on 05-25-2010 7:49 PM

I got it out okay, but it seemed like it wasn't strong in the center and was starting to separate a bit from the force in which I was using to get it out in one piece.  Turns out, it wasn't.  I slammed on my breaks and when I took out the cake it had split into four huge chunks.  My students claimed it was the yummiest ugly cake they've ever eaten. Laugh Thanks for the tips!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS