help

Tylenol 3 okay in 3rd trimester?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 16,041
Tami Posted: 04-26-2010 8:36 PM

I've been dealing with horrendous back spasms the past few weeks. Last week the doctor I saw while mine was out of town prescribed me some Tylenol 3. I'm going to go pick it up now, but am a little leery about taking it. I would only take it at bedtime, in whatever dose he has prescribed. Anyone else taken a product containing codeine while pregnant? Everything okay with baby?

Tami ~ 41  Heart Steve ~ 42     Est. 3/19/94   Ryker ~ 14.2 (C/S)  Hudson ~ 11 (VBAC!)  Cameron ~ 9.5 (C/S) & Shepard ~ 5/6/10 (C/S)

Not Ranked
Posts 595
katelovesjay replied on 04-26-2010 10:32 PM

I am prone to headaches anyways, but they are much worse for me during pregnancy.  My OB prescribed me Tylenol 3 during my third trimester with both of my pregnancies...I took it sparingly, but I definitely took enough to ease the headaches and my babes are as healthy as can be!!  (my headaches were so bad that my OB also gave me 5mg pills of morphine...I took it once, but switched back to T3 because I felt much more comfortable with it.)

Hope your back feels better soon!!

Kate (30) Heart Jay (29)

Ian-August 2006

Danica-September 2008

BFP April 13th!!  Baby due December 25, 2010!

my chart

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 16,041
Tami replied on 04-26-2010 10:41 PM

Thanks -- I figure it's okay, and an OB prescribed it, but you know - just being cautious!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2,077
yessisan replied on 04-26-2010 10:46 PM

I was prescribed Tylenol 3 about 3 wks ago for migraine headaches (I'm 24wks today).  Since I was getting about 3 a wk and tylenol alone wasn't helping my perinatologist prescribed it, but I haven't taken it yet.  I'm still in the 2nd tri, but I know that it gets prescribed throughout pregnancy because it doesn't have an effect on the baby.

Mommy of three Angels: JulianAngel, MonicaAngel, Eduardo (Eddie)Angel

My chart

DH: 27
Me (Yessi): 28
DD: born 8/16/10

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 17,763
shellymoe replied on 04-27-2010 3:03 AM

Yeah, the OB isn't going to give you something that isn't safe.

I was given a script this past Wednesday of Phenergan w/Codeine for a rotten cough from one of my OB's.

Take it when you need it (not exceeding the limits, of course) and let yourself be pain-free, even if it's just for a little while.

Flowers

~Shelly (35)

DH (35)

Katelyn (14), Michael (12), Issac (4), Rebecca (2), Evan (ARR 7/27)

Not Ranked
Posts 384
shvlnose replied on 04-27-2010 1:30 PM

I have a chronic pain condition and have had Tylenol 3 throught out both of my pregnancies as needed (which turns out to be about once ever 2 -3 weeks). My daughter is absolutely fine so far as I can tell, and the new baby seems to be doing well also.

For most narcotic meds the concern is with the mom becoming dependent/addicted. What my Dr told me at the time was that for they baby, the meds are mostly safe and not known to cause birth defects unless taken in doses higher than normally prescribed.

One thing to keep in mind (especially in your 3rd trimester) is that narcotics are constipating. Make sure you take some groung flax seed/fiber/something to help with that since most of us are at least semi-"blocked" this late in pregnancy.

HTH! Flowers

Aly

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 16,041
Tami replied on 04-28-2010 3:39 AM

shellymoe:

Take it when you need it (not exceeding the limits, of course) and let yourself be pain-free, even if it's just for a little while.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. He gave me 10 pills, which is basically enough for 1/night at this point. I took one last night, and 1 regular Tylenol, but it didn't do much -- a little sleepier than usual but didn't seem to touch the pain. So tonight I am trying 2; the label says 1 or two, so I decided to try the smaller dose first.

Here's hoping tonight's dose relaxes me enough that the spasms stop already!

Tami ~ 41  Heart Steve ~ 42     Est. 3/19/94   Ryker ~ 14.2 (C/S)  Hudson ~ 11 (VBAC!)  Cameron ~ 9.5 (C/S) & Shepard ~ 5/6/10 (C/S)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 17,763
shellymoe replied on 04-28-2010 10:30 AM

Tami:

Here's hoping tonight's dose relaxes me enough that the spasms stop already!

I just had a thought... my DH has had back troubles for years.  When the spasms kick in, he takes a muscle relaxer because no amount of pain medication seems to work.  I would check with your OB to see if there are any muscle relaxers you can try (like Flexeril).

I hope you feel better soon!

Flowers

~Shelly (35)

DH (35)

Katelyn (14), Michael (12), Issac (4), Rebecca (2), Evan (ARR 7/27)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 16,041
Tami replied on 04-28-2010 10:53 AM

I had read that Flexeril was okay to use in pregnancy, but I didn't ask specifically about a muscle relaxer. I will on Friday though.

I have taken that in the past and it didn't seem like it did much except make me feel hung over the next day. I'm willing to try it again though if there's nothing else. I've had these spasms on and off since I was in high school, and they suck, especially now.

Thanks Shelly. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS