help

Clomid and herbs?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8,586
Jenchichi Posted: 03-15-2010 1:40 PM

I'm going to start Clomid this cycle have been exclsuively on herbal formulas until this point. can I continue them as well? are there any herbs I shoudl avoid while on Clomid?

[Lilypie First Birthday tickers

[Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 03-15-2010 1:49 PM

Any that promote hormonal activity. Soy, vitex, RRL, red clover, ask if you have any specific you would like to know about. There are several that may pop in to say that it doesn't make a difference or that some herbs are helpful. For some that may be true but why waste the DRs time and your money if it just messes up that cycle.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8,586
Jenchichi replied on 03-15-2010 9:28 PM

This past month I was taking some formulas that i  purchased off of thefertilesoul.com the website of Randine Lewis. I took some forovulation and LP support...I imagine they were to promote the hormonal balance.

What about Royal Jelly and Fertility tea blends?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 1,972
CelesteM replied on 03-16-2010 10:17 AM

My naturopath said that it was probably okay to stay on maca if I wanted to, but absolutely not vitex or anything that contains vitex (chasteberry). My acupuncturist also does traditional chinese medicine, and he prepared some herbs for me when I was on clomid, but they were different from the herbs he gave me in previous cycles.

38 years old

TTC #1 for 20 cycles + IUI  #1 March 9 2010 = DD Alice born December 6 2010.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8,586
Jenchichi replied on 03-16-2010 10:55 AM

I've sent them two emials to see what is in the combos I have orderd and not heard back..so I probalby won't take them.

I'll have to see if there is chase berry in the tea.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 03-16-2010 6:44 PM

Royal jelly is an iffy one. It promotes balance but I haven't seen hard scientific fact that it is estrogenic. It is a very concentrated source of all kinds of good things and one I've taken often. I didn't take it on any cycle I took clomid though as a just in case. The fertility teas should have an ingredient list, just post it when you get it in.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8,586
Jenchichi replied on 03-17-2010 6:44 PM

got my tea today...looks like it has the stuff in it that i shouldn't mix wiht Clomid. So..I"ll be putting that on the shelf too....I should have asked these questions before ordering this stuff...it's just a habit to order all my supplies once AF shows!

Is green tea ok?

ETA: Finally got the ingredient list:

Fertile Soul Ovarian Health Formula – this formula helps support follicular growth, encourages ovarian health, enhances the follicle’s ability to produce estrogen, and build the uterine lining. Can also help lower pathologically elevated FSH values.
[
May be taken all throughout the menstrual cycle, or during the follicular phase with or without the PCOS formula, if appropriate. Not to be taken during menses.]

INGREDIENTS:

Radix Rehmannia Preparata                                                Fructus Cornii
Rhizoma Dioscoreae                                                            Radix Paeoniae Alba
Poria                                                                                    Cortex Moutan
Angelica Sinensis                                                            Herba Epimedii
Rhizoma Cyperi                                                            Radix Paeoniae Rubrae
Rhizoma Alismata

These formulas do not intend to treat any western gynecological, reproductive, or obstetrical pathologic diagnosis. These formulations address the pattern diagnosis of traditional Chinese medicine, and are used to support a natural approach to a healthy pregnancy. Although these herbal blends are not specific to your individual imbalances that you would receive in our Fertile Soul Retreats or Fertile Soul TCM evaluation and herbal prescription, we have found that they address many major disease categories. If you have taken these herbal formulas for 90 days and have not achieved noticeable improvement, we suggest you sign up for an individual traditional Chinese medical diagnosis and specific herbal prescription.

Fertile Soul Luteal Phase Support – helps the body encourage progesterone production by strengthening corpus luteal function. This formula encourages your body to develop the vascularization, glandular development, and proteins necessary for implantation.
[
Use is encouraged after ovulation, after you have taken the ovarian health or PCOS formula, if appropriate. Should not be taken prior to ovulation or during menses.]

INGREDIENTS:
Radix Rehmannia Preparata                                                Fructus Cornii
Rhizoma Dioscoreae                                                            Cortex Moutan
Rhizoma Alismata                                                            Poria
Ramulus Cinnamomi                                                            Radix Paeoniae Alba
Rhizoma Atractylodes Macrocephalae                        Cortex Eucommiae
Herba Plantaginis                                                            Fructus Lycii
Fructus Rubi                                                                        Semen Cuscutae
Fructus Schisandrae Chinensis

These formulas do not intend to treat any western gynecological, reproductive, or obstetrical pathologic diagnosis. These formulations address the pattern diagnosis of traditional Chinese medicine, and are used to support a natural approach to a healthy pregnancy. Although these herbal blends are not specific to your individual imbalances that you would receive in our Fertile Soul Retreats or Fertile Soul TCM evaluation and herbal prescription, we have found that they address many major disease categories. If you have taken these herbal formulas for 90 days and have not achieved noticeable improvement, we suggest you sign up for an individual traditional Chinese medical diagnosis and specific herbal prescription.

I was thinking it might be ok to take the LP formula...what do you think?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8,586
Jenchichi replied on 03-22-2010 2:12 PM

now i go thtis answer  about the herbs....not sure exactly what this mean..can anyone help?

No, vitex is not in any of the herbal formulas we make. Vitex's effects in
Chinese medicine are going to be most like the luteal formula. Er Zhi Wan or
the Two Immortals Pill (often spelled differently) is not in any of the
herbs we make either. However, it is most similar to the ovarian formula we
sell.

I hope this helps,

Theresa 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 03-24-2010 10:03 AM

I am more familiar/comfortable with herbs and herbal preps from an American POV but have done limited research into TCM. So this is based on either my knowledge of the plant itself or chemical analysis of unfamiliar plants. In general many of the herbs in the first formula are estrogenic, the second many deal with male infertility , some are diuretics and others anti inflamatory. The list of info is way too long to reproduce so in summary: My typical response is to say avoid herbs when using clomid because of the risk of decreasing effectiveness mainly based on dosage and timing. But in your case if you are under a practioner you trust then there are studies to support the use of many of the herbs timed to your cycle to enhance the effectiveness of clomid. The herbs/dosage and timing are all invidual and the person administering them needs to have a good working knowledge of TCM. If the herbs are a good fit for you then I will emphasize that many have been studied in relation to clomid in the order you are taking them with good effect.  Whether to continue is up to you. Many women though take supplements singly in large doses just because someone else had GL with it not because of scientific fact. Every case is different. The chinese don't typically use vitex as it is not native to their region but the syntax of the response is difficult to interpret probably because English is their second (or third, fourth...) language I think they are suggesting different products based on your question.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8,586
Jenchichi replied on 03-24-2010 1:25 PM

well, I was able to get her to respond to me in a more coherent manner...my thgouth is not to take the ovulation formual and that I might take the LP formaul after I know O has happened. She saidit was safe to take them with Clomid..but I have no idea what this is based onso.part of me wants to take the LP formula and theother part says let's just go all Western medicine this cycle and see howit goes.  I will also ask my Dr. if I can remember to do so.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 8,586
Jenchichi replied on 03-24-2010 1:27 PM

sorry double post

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 03-24-2010 2:16 PM

If she knows what she is doing she is basing it on studies done with combinations of those herbs (and others) in a timed order (one combination for menstruation, one for follicular phase, and one for early LP and one for late LP). Sounds like she is recommending a short version of the study using just two combos one preO and one postO. Most of the plants in her recommended preparations match with the ones (and in the correct cycle phase) in the study. They improved uterine lining and CF. You could probably google the studies. Maybe try w/o this and if it doesn't work with next? I hope it works the first time either way.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS