help

Uterine scarring?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 319
Wantbabynumber3 Posted: 03-03-2010 1:07 PM

I have had 4 D&Cs for retained tissue... long story.  I was able to conceive ds #2 after 3 D&Cs for m/c in between 1st and 2nd child.  I was VERY worried prior that the D&Cs would have ruined my chances to conceive again.  Then... after delivering my second son, I needed a D&C again to stop the bleeding.  (Basically, my placentas have trouble detaching).  Anyway, we have been ttc for about 6 months now and no luck.  I know that's not a super long time but since I got pg easily with my boys, I was wondering if I may have uterine scarring from the D&Cs.  Are there any symptoms associated with scarring?  How would you know you have scarring?  Can anything be done to remove scarring if that's the case?  Can you still get pg with scar tissue?  Sorry for all of the questions... I'm a pretty private person "in real life" and feel comfortable asking all of you!!  :)  Also, how long would you ttc before going to a dr?  Thanks so much!  I really appreciate the advice :) 

Baby Boy  5 years

Baby Boy  2 years

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 8,850
ThreePrinces replied on 03-05-2010 4:09 PM

Hi there,

I've never had a D&C, but I have had 3 c-sections..so this was something that I considered. 

I had a sonohysterogram (saline ultrasound) to look for excessive scar tissue and other uterine abnormalities inside my uterus.  It was relatively painless and done right in my RE's office.  Turns out that my uterus is 100% clear, my RE said it didn't look like I"d ever had any c-section at all (much less 3); they can measure the depths of any scars during the procedure but they couldn't even find mine to measure.  I guess that I heal nicely.

I believe that excessive scarring in the uterus is called Asherman's.  I don't know if there are any symptoms, but I'm sure you could find more info if you looked up Asherman's.

As for how long to TTC, if you have reason to believe there may be an issue then you should contact to your doc ASAP to discuss it.

Good luck!!

TTC (this time) since February 2008.  Long history of Secondary Infertility.

June 13, 2011:  BFP on 12dpo!  Due exactly 4 years after I began TTC.

chart:  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16c283

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is permanent.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 8,850
ThreePrinces replied on 03-05-2010 4:12 PM

I found this:

http://www.ashermans.org/

Looks like it is relatively common after a D&C, unfortunately.  I would definitely talk to your doctor if you have any of the symptoms!

TTC (this time) since February 2008.  Long history of Secondary Infertility.

June 13, 2011:  BFP on 12dpo!  Due exactly 4 years after I began TTC.

chart:  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16c283

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is permanent.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2,176
bitobsessive1 replied on 03-05-2010 5:43 PM

Another possibility to consider is that repeated m/c and repeated retained tissue are more common in women with uterine anomalies. Quite a few of the ladies on the Mullerian Anomalies Yahoo group have Asherman's as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 319
Wantbabynumber3 replied on 03-07-2010 7:37 AM

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I've done some research on Asherman's too.  Fortunately I don't have any of the symptoms (missed/ scant periods, pain, etc) so I'm hopeful that is not what I have.  Also, my OBGYN did 2 follow up appts after I delivered my son and mentioned that everything looked good.  Do you think she would've noticed scarring by 6 months post-delivery?  I hope so.  I've been trying very hard to not get ahead of myself and think positive!  :) 

Baby Boy  5 years

Baby Boy  2 years

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,188
GreenMountainGirl replied on 03-08-2010 10:15 AM

Wantbabynumber3:

Also, my OBGYN did 2 follow up appts after I delivered my son and mentioned that everything looked good.  Do you think she would've noticed scarring by 6 months post-delivery?  I hope so.  I've been trying very hard to not get ahead of myself and think positive!  :) 

Unless your OB-GYN did an HSG (or another procedure to look inside the uterus), she'd wouldn't be able to tell if you had scarring. I had several routine OB-GYN appointments/exams that were "all clear" before being diagnosed with severe Asherman's. It was only after seeing an RE and having the HSG done that we knew what we were dealing with.

Not Ranked
Posts 319
Wantbabynumber3 replied on 03-09-2010 12:14 PM

Sorry to hear that, GreenMountainGirl.  Is there anything they've done to help with your Ashermans?  I've read that there's a good success rate if they can break the scar tissue up with a hysterogram (is that the correct term?  I can't remember now.)  Anyway, has your doctor been able to do anything to remove the scar tissue?  Have you been able to get pg with it?  Thanks for answering... good luck to you!

Baby Boy  5 years

Baby Boy  2 years

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,188
GreenMountainGirl replied on 03-09-2010 12:51 PM

My RE did uterine surgery (called a resection) in November of 2008 to remove the scar tissue. They weren't able to remove it all, but the risks of reentering the uterus and creating even MORE scar tissue was greater than going back in to take out what was left.

In November of 2009 we successfully conceived with Clomid + IUI. Our youngest DD was born in August via Cesarean birth (DD was in a persistent transverse lie due to the remaining scar tissue preventing her from turning). During the birth, they were then able to remove the remaining scar tissue and my post-partum cycles show no indication of Asherman's (no pain, periods are regular instead of very light, etc.). They'll do another HSG when/if we're ready to TTC again in order to access the Asherman's.

I'm hoping you don't have Asherman's but if you do, make sure you find an RE that's familiar with the surgery to remove the scar tissue. An inexperienced physician can unknowingly create a BIGGER problem when introducing cutting techniques inside the uterus.

Mom to  Baby Girl  born at home at 37w2d on 4/28/06,  Baby Girl via Cesarean birth at 39w3d on 8/15/09 and #3 on the way!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers                         Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

pregnancy calendar

Not Ranked
Posts 319
Wantbabynumber3 replied on 03-09-2010 1:06 PM

Thanks again, GreenMountainGirl.  I'm so happy to hear that you were able to carry 2 babies after the surgery!!  Wonderful.  If you don't mind me asking another question... what were your symptoms?  You mentioned pain and light periods.  Was there anything else that made you think you might have Ashermans?  Thanks :) 

Baby Boy  5 years

Baby Boy  2 years

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,188
GreenMountainGirl replied on 03-10-2010 10:00 AM

My Asherman's was a result of scarring from a D&C 5 weeks after the birth of my first DD. While we have 2 daughters, one was born before and one after the surgery.

My only symptoms were very, very light periods (so light that I often needed no more than pantiliners for a day or two each month). I had some mild pain, but probably no more than normal period cramps for most women. When I asked other women about their first post partum period being very light, another woman on this board (she's no longer posting to Ovusoft) suggested looking at Ashermans.org since I had symptoms of Asherman's and was at risk because of the D&C so soon after delivery.

Luck

Mom to  Baby Girl  born at home at 37w2d on 4/28/06,  Baby Girl via Cesarean birth at 39w3d on 8/15/09 and #3 on the way!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers                         Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

pregnancy calendar

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS