Archive Site

Search

Compare Charts

help

What do cramps mean at 40 weeks? Anything?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 973
eabaldwin Posted: 02-18-2010 9:33 PM

So, today is my due date.  She is still floating around up there, and hasn't dropped.  I have no idea about dilation or anything because I have not had any internal exams.  As far as I know, I haven't lost any of my mucus plug.  For the last few days, I have been having cramps.  I would swear if I wasn't 40 weeks pregnant, that AF would be showing up soon!  Laugh  They are definitely AF-style, and not gas, etc.  They are not constant, all day either.  They come and go throughout the day.  Everything else is still normal, her movements are still "normal" for her, etc.

My question is, do these cramps mean anything?  Did anyone else experience AF-style cramps and then start labor afterward?  Am I just searching for *some* clue that labor is coming soon?  I am perfectly fine being pregnant still, and I know that I've been lucky to have had an easy pregnancy.  However, I just would like to avoid an induction if at all possible, and my dr. has already mentioned that he'll start talking about that at my next appointment on Wed.  Tongue Tied  My hope is that these cramps mean that *something* is going on down in there...  I was hoping that some of you ladies might have some experiences to share (either way, I'm very aware of the fact that these cramps can mean nothing and may not be labor-related at all!).

TIA!

Me-29 (+6Wink)
DH-35
Katherine Ann Baby Girl born Feb. 20, 2010
Angel  Feb 2009
#2 Due January 30, 2012[View:http://www.tcoyf.com/themes/tcoyf/utility/Lilypie Maternity tickers

Chart

DDog "Gerry" 11 yo Cocker Spaniel living with hypothyroidism & epilepsy
DDog "Mission" *Forever in our hearts* 1999-2011

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 21,104
Calladona replied on 02-18-2010 10:51 PM

Sounds like early labor... which could go on a few more days or could turn into something tonight.  Good luck!!! Fingers Crossed

Susan - 30 married to Chris -31

Catherine Anne born via c-section June 30, 2008

Rebecca Marie born naturally April 18, 2010

expecting #3 January 15, 2012

BabyFetus Ticker

Not Ranked
Posts 465
zora replied on 02-19-2010 8:52 AM

This is probably no help at all, but I'm 36 weeks, 5 days today, and in exactly the same place--I've been having moderately intense AF style cramps for about 5 days now.  They've been pretty consistent, but don't seem to indicate that anything is going to happen anytime soon.  (this is my second pregnancy; my first was born at 37 w, 1d).  So I keep getting excited about the cramping, but I also know that it *could* go on for weeks... 

I'm thinking that cramping at 40 weeks is *much* more likely to be a sign of imminent labor than cramping at 36 weeks though.  I doubt very much that the cramps are *not* related to labor--I think it's almost 100% certain that they mean that your body is getting ready--that it's "practicing" for the real thing.  But I think there's no way of telling how many hours, days, or (in my case) weeks of practice your uterus will need.  Hang in there!  Your daughter is almost here (but waiting out the last few days or weeks is tough!)

Alba

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13,303
Apryl replied on 02-19-2010 10:29 AM

I had nothing with DS1..ended up being induced at 40wk6d he was 9lbs 3oz and 23 inches long..i'm so glad I went ahead with the induction. He was quite happy in there and I was maybe 2 cm dialeted. No cramping..I think I had 1 BH at about 39 weeks. LOL

With DS2 I had PROM and my only labor pains I was getting were similar to AF cramps and general acheyness. I had him the next morning at 36wk3d. LOL

I think it could be the uterus trying to get stuff going....lol. Good luck!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2,189
LilyRN replied on 02-19-2010 1:31 PM

No words of wisdom, but lots of sympathy! I've been feeling really crampy the past 3 nights. I texted DH last night when he was at work to say I could start Old Aunt Flo any minute now! Lol! At any rate, I'm hoping they mean something will either happen this weekend or hold off until next weekend... my m/w is out of town Tuesday - Thursday next week and I really want her to deliver me!

Anyway, hope it means something for you since you don't want to get started talking about induction! Hug

Rachel (24) Heart Andrew (26)
Married 4.12.08
Caleb Andrew Baby Boy 15 months
TTA until at least December

My TCOYF charts

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,113
Dancing Queen replied on 02-19-2010 3:34 PM

Yes, it could well be 'pre' labour as your body gears up towards the big event! For some women it can mean labour is imminent, or it may still be a good few days off. Everyone is different. I had crampiness off and on over a few days and whilst feeling this way I met a friend to go shopping and she marched me all over the town, this was 3 days before my due date and sure enough I went into labour the next day!  I'm booking her again for this pregnancy Laugh  I would say to go for a couple of long walks (although don't exhaust yourself of course!) and that may well 'get you going' and into proper labour soon.  Good luck!

Me Heart DH

DS1 13 yrs

DS2 10 yrs

DS3   2 yrs

DS4 Brand New - 21st June 2010!

And I think we are done! Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS