IVF # 1 E2 Level on CD 8

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 1,381
MurphysGirl Posted: 10-05-2009 2:38 PM
Hi ladies!

I went in for my first follicle check today after being on Menopur (375 units or 5 vials) for 5 days.
The ultrasound revealed 9 follicles (I don't know the measurements), but 5 were on my right ovary and 4 were on my left.
My RE increased my dosage of menopur to 6 vials after the bloodwork from today (CD 8) revealed an E2 of 125. (RE stated he would like to see it between 200-400). Although he reassured me this isn't a bad thing because its still early, I am still concerned.
I've had one high FSH reading in the past of 12.5, but in the last year my FSH has been normal.

What are others experience with E2 levels when starting stims??? Especially around CD 6-10??

I know from reading the boards that a high E2 can indicate over stimming, but I've lot read alot of borderline or low E2's while stimming.

Any and all experiences or thoughts are greatly appreciated! Also I would love to hear more IVF stories that were a success w/ menopur!

I'm remaining positive, but getting a little nervous. Wink

ETA: Has anyone had more follicles develop after getting their 1st follicle scan? I will go back in 2 days for another scan, wait 2 days, then HOPEFULLY aspiration or retrieval!! I meant to ask my RE if more could possibly develop, but in the midst of things I forgot to ask... Input???

Her: 33  Him: 30

DX in 2008 with hydrosalpinx of the fallopian tubes and low ovarian reserve

BFP in March of 09' - Angel in April of 09' w/ ectopic pregnancy (loss of my only remaining fallopian tube)

Started IVF on Sept. 18th of 09 - BFP on Oct 12th.

First u/s revealed twins!

1/10 & 1/18 -Gender Ultrasound!

We are blessed with twin Baby BoyBaby Boy due July 5th, 2010

March 10th - Emergency/Rescue Cerclage ~ Hospital bedrest for 80 days

May 17th - Happy Birthday to my precious twin boys~ They arrived @ 33 weeks - 8 days in NICU

Noah Audric ~ 8:54 a.m. ~ 3lbs. 9 oz.

Luke Orion ~ 8:54 a.m. ~ 3 lbs. 6 oz.

We are truly blessed! Smile

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 8,434
GLCharmE replied on 10-05-2009 3:07 PM
Your first follice check is just a starting point ... you'll have more the next time you go. In 2009, I had 11 the first one and ended up with 16 and all were mature. In 2005, I had 8 the first time and got 14.

Your E2 levels sound a bit low ... but, in a way that's nice -- your doctor was able to increase your dose to produce more follicles!

Good luck.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 8,434
GLCharmE replied on 10-05-2009 3:10 PM
I copied this from another one of my posts:

So, for me, my first follie check showed this (11 follicles):
Right Ovary: 7, 6, 6, 5, 3, 3
Left Ovary: 6, 5, 5, 5, 4
E2: 363
Dose changed to 75 menopur/75 gonal f (from 150) -- so, they had to decrease my dose for fear of too high of estrogen!

Interestingly enough... in 2005 with my :
My first follie check had 8 -- but they were considerably larger: 9, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 6, 6, -- my E2 level was 416 and my dose dropped to (75/75).
Not Ranked
Posts 738
detcb replied on 10-06-2009 6:45 AM
I don't remember what my E2 levels were when I did my IVF cycle, but I remember it was on the low side from being suppressed. I felt like I stimmed forever! Also, I feel like the total follie count varied some.

[fc] thinking of you and everyone from the group!
Not Ranked
Posts 511
LBM replied on 10-06-2009 10:28 AM
it sounds like you have some good follies so far. I have a slightly different point of view than one of the pp. You may end up with more eggs at your retrieval than they are seeing now, but you may end up with fewer too. I guess what I'm saying (not trying to be negative about your situation at all) is that you should try to be prepared either way. These u/s are just checks and nothing is final until the ER. I wasn't prepared for that my first time and it looked like we had about 9 follies growing and then when we got to retrieval some of them had already ovulated on their own (rare but can happen) and the others were all mature. I had a much better response this time on a different protocol.

It looked like I had about 9 or 10 follies developing depending on the day and the cooperation of my ovaries. In the end we got 10 eggs, only 6 were mature. All 6 of those fertilized.

Regarding your E2 level question, I think it's important to remember what day of stims you are on and not just which cycle day. Here are my day of stims and E2 levels. Hope this helps. Some of this is also in my signature.

CD2 E2=61 (baseline)
CD2-4 clomid
CD7 (my third day of stims) my E2 was 200+
CD10 (my sixth day of stims) my E2 was 746
CD14 (my 10th day of stims) my E2 was 1600+
CD16 (my 13th day of stims) my E2 was 2822

I stimmed for 13 days plus 4 days of clomid at the beginning.

Best of luck to you! I will be following your posts.

LBM

Not Ranked
Posts 574
cbwm replied on 10-06-2009 3:18 PM

Hi MurphysGirl -- Great to see you're on your way!!

I agree with LBM's caution--and it's not bad news, but don't be too upset if no more follicles appear. I've heard many stories where they did, altho for me, they did not. They found 11 follies on my first scan, and that was it.

My E2 on Day 6 of stims was 284 and then on Day 8 it was in the high 400s, but the doctors wanted to see it double, so they increased my stims a bit and I ended up stimming for 11 days total because of low(er) E2.

I was on Repronex and Follistim (and Lupron) -- Repronex is the same as menopur, I think, just a different brand. For the last three or four days of stims I was doing 2 vials of Repronex and 150-225 of Follistim.

I had 11 follicles, retrieved 9 eggs, of which 7 were mature and 4 fertilized normally and 2 made it to the 8-cell stage by Day 3 (and we implanted both).

What the RE told me was that it's not necessarily the E2 number, but the rate at which it doubles (i.e. is it doubling every two days?) that matters. I think this just means you'll need more stims and that your follies aren't quite mature.

Don't despair!! As my doctor kept telling me, it's quality, not quantity. You'll go in for more b/w and scans soon and get a better sense of things. I felt like I was living at the clinic for that week!

[#][#][#] and thinking of you!!

3 failed IVF attempts (1 BFN, 2 chemical pregnancies AngelAngel) + 1 chemical pregnancy Angel from TTC on our own

It's dawning on us that there's a problem with our embryos... all genetic tests say we're fine, but something isn't right: MFI was original IF diagnosis, so time for donor sperm.

IVF #4 (November/December 2010 - Split batch with donor sperm)

TWINS!! Baby Girl & Baby Boy... Pray for this miracle to continue!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Not Ranked
Posts 1,381
MurphysGirl replied on 10-07-2009 3:09 PM
Thank you ladies so much for your wonderful input!

I had my second blood drawing today (2 days after the first) and my E2 is 399! Looks like it tripled!

I am going to start using stims days as opposed to cycle days to guage what my body should be doing in terms of E2. The low level on the first draw scared me! I didn't think I was responding to the stims as I should, but with the extra vial it looks to be going up.

I am keeping my fingers crossed! [fc][fc][fc][fc][fc]

ETA:
CD 8 or Day 5 of Stimming on Menopur: E2 125
CD 10 or Day 7 of Stimming on Menopur: E2 399

Her: 33  Him: 30

DX in 2008 with hydrosalpinx of the fallopian tubes and low ovarian reserve

BFP in March of 09' - Angel in April of 09' w/ ectopic pregnancy (loss of my only remaining fallopian tube)

Started IVF on Sept. 18th of 09 - BFP on Oct 12th.

First u/s revealed twins!

1/10 & 1/18 -Gender Ultrasound!

We are blessed with twin Baby BoyBaby Boy due July 5th, 2010

March 10th - Emergency/Rescue Cerclage ~ Hospital bedrest for 80 days

May 17th - Happy Birthday to my precious twin boys~ They arrived @ 33 weeks - 8 days in NICU

Noah Audric ~ 8:54 a.m. ~ 3lbs. 9 oz.

Luke Orion ~ 8:54 a.m. ~ 3 lbs. 6 oz.

We are truly blessed! Smile

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Not Ranked
Posts 574
cbwm replied on 10-07-2009 6:19 PM
Ooohhh... yes, it's counted based on days of stims, not cycle days. You are doing just fine!! Perfectly, in fact! [#][#][#]

3 failed IVF attempts (1 BFN, 2 chemical pregnancies AngelAngel) + 1 chemical pregnancy Angel from TTC on our own

It's dawning on us that there's a problem with our embryos... all genetic tests say we're fine, but something isn't right: MFI was original IF diagnosis, so time for donor sperm.

IVF #4 (November/December 2010 - Split batch with donor sperm)

TWINS!! Baby Girl & Baby Boy... Pray for this miracle to continue!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Not Ranked
Posts 511
LBM replied on 10-07-2009 8:53 PM
That sounds like a great E2 level for where you are. Congrats!
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS