What TSH level is really normal?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 257
shadow773 Posted: 08-01-2009 6:33 PM
Hi ladies,

I was starting to get annoyed with my OB/GYN because she seems to be dismissive of my TTC concerns. I had bloodwork for blood type, TSH, and prolactin first, and then CD3 bloodwork for LH, FSH, and Estrodial. She said everything came back "normal" and that my CD3 numbers were "perfect" but she didn't give me the exact numbers.

I just had a chemical, and she just said keep trying, there's nothing that needs to be done. It has been almost a year (about 8 cycles) of perfectly timed BD. I asked the dr's office to send me my medical records because I am seeing an RE in September and wanted to bring him the results.

The results are in. The one that concerns me most is my TSH, but my LH/FSH looks a little off too.

TSH: 3.75.
Prolactin: 5.8
LH: 8.4
FSH: 5.2
Estradiol: 31

The normal range on the lab report for TSH is .45 - 4.5, but my own research is showing that some medical professionals believe levels over 3 are indicative of an underactive thyroid, and ideal levels to achieve and sustain pregnancy are between 1 and 2. I'm surprised I'm on the high end of normal for TSH -- I am so underweight!! But I do often feel tired.

I'm sure I will get good advice from the RE, but while I wait to see him, I am wondering if any of you have any experience with borderline high or high TSH. Is there anything I can do to lower the TSH naturally? Could this be one of the reasons we cant get PG?

Me (31) and DH (42) expecting our first on May 5, 2010!

Not Ranked
Posts 232
hdwk replied on 08-02-2009 10:47 PM
From http://infertilityblog.blogspot.com/

"What is the optimal TSH level? It depends who you talk to. The endocrinologists are going crazy trying to get everyone’s under 2. There is no real conclusive science showing this is important. Probably ½ the population has a TSH over 2, and ½ the population can’t be abnormal."

Could you ask your doctor to test you for thyroid antibodies? There is some info out there about doctors treating sub clinical hypothyroidism in infertility patients with antibodies. I have high antibodies but very low tsh, so my doc is not treating me for that.

Before you jump full force into this crazy IF world, I would strongly advise you to investigate your insurance coverage. Also, it sounds like you need a new GYN! She should still be sympathetic even if you haven't reached the exact one year mark. Best of luck to you!

[#][#][#][#]
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 8,850
ThreePrinces replied on 08-02-2009 11:31 PM
As far as TTC and pregnancy goes, my RE looks for a TSH between 1 and 2.

Could you ask your doctor to test you for thyroid antibodies? There is some info out there about doctors treating sub clinical hypothyroidism in infertility patients with antibodies.

This would be me. My TSH is a little higher than my RE would like for TTC, but I had slightly elevated antibodies and so I am on 25 mcg of Synthroid daily. It's gotten my TSH around to 1.3 at last check. Haven't had my antibodies retested again yet.

Regarding your FSH/LH ratio, your LH is slightly elevated above your FSH which could be an indicator for PCOS. However it's not really all that off so I'm not sure your RE would consider that something to treat or not.

TTC (this time) since February 2008.  Long history of Secondary Infertility.

June 13, 2011:  BFP on 12dpo!  Due exactly 4 years after I began TTC.

chart:  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16c283

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is permanent.

Not Ranked
Posts 257
shadow773 replied on 08-03-2009 10:46 PM
Thank you both for your responses! My internist is going to test TSH again and also check for antibodies. I just want to make sure I am as healthy as possible, and if there is an underlying condition to treat, I don't want to wait years to fix it. DH has his own health problems that interfere with TTC so it makes this journey all the more stressful and difficult for us. I've prepared myself for the possibility that even if I am 100% healthy, I may need fertility treatments because of DH. Luckily we do have decent infertility coverage, including coverage for IVF if it comes to that.

Me (31) and DH (42) expecting our first on May 5, 2010!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 763
Christina878785 replied on 08-06-2009 7:11 PM
I am hypo thyroid. My doctor recently increased my meds to 1.25 of Levothyroxine. My level was 4.8.
Now it's .84 and I've not ovulated since the increase.

Could just be a coincidence. I've only been charting since March of this year and seem to have ovulated only once.

If my FSH level is too Low, could that prevent me from ovulating?

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/Christina878785/pccharts/10.aspx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,040
wendyinPA replied on 08-07-2009 10:58 AM
According to the AACE (American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists) the "target TSH level should be between 0.3 and 3.0 ìIU/mL." Unfortunately, many doctors and labs still consider anything under 5 as "normal".

My RE always wanted to see my levels between 1 and 2.
Not Ranked
Posts 603
bobaby replied on 08-12-2009 11:18 PM
Optimal TSH for reproduction is between 1 and 2. Your TSH was definitely too high, by any standard.

I felt much better treating mine and getting it down to 1.
Good luck.

Baby Boy 5/2011

If you are >30 and TTC #1 with losses come join the Triple Threats!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS