help

Anything herbal like metformin

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 11,112
annabelsindy Posted: 12-29-2005 5:52 PM
Right anything herbal i cant take/do, to have the same effect as being on meformin?
I keep m/c and my doctor wont put me on metformin for my pcos, and i cant have another doctor. Im at my wits end and thinking of giving up trying to be a mommy, as i cant cope with Angel all the time Sad

Ovusofter formally known as Amazing Grace

Debs (33), married to Marts (38). Reborn artist, & proud mummy to Kendra, Travis & Austin, 6 Angels in Heaven.

Dealing with PCOS and now cautiously expecting again, due 3rd May 2011

replied on 12-29-2005 8:30 PM | Locked
[Deleted by Admins]
Not Ranked
Posts 75
BFPvibes replied on 12-30-2005 5:18 AM
Hello,
Sorry about your recent loss [hug], I think that bitter melon might help. I'm sorry I can't tell you much but here is a link that might get you started-Its a really great site -

http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/ayurvediczone.asp?article_ID=1345

Also you can search pcos within the same site and there might be other info- Hope that helps. GL
Not Ranked
Posts 9,455
EmilyS replied on 12-30-2005 10:23 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Sad[hug] I was really hoping that you would have a sticky pg.

I really like the book "The Infertility Cure" by Dr. Randine Lewis. I highly recommend it if you are going to be trying things naturally on your own.

For PCOS, she first recommends taking a B Complex or getting plenty of B vitamins from leafy veggies (helps keep the liver healthy which is essential for insulin balance). Then, she recommends cutting back on sugars, refined carbs, etc. and staying away from yams. Avoid dairy because it tends to exacerbate PCOS.

For herbs, she recommends Gleditsia (Zao Jiao Ci) during the first half of your cycle. It helps promote ovulation in women with ovulatory problems and PCOS because it dissolves the waxy capsule that forms around the ovaries in PCOS.

There are other recommendations based on different things that your body might be doing/going through.

After almost a year of having really bad cycles, I have finally gotten them in order using this book. It took about 2 cycles once I implemented recommendations from it. I'm hooked!

Take care hon!
Not Ranked
Posts 4,379
TwoQTs replied on 12-30-2005 11:27 AM
I'm so sorry for another loss. I was shocked to see you had another m/c.. I was so happy just .. what, a week ago for you??

I second The Infertility Cure. After my son was s/b, my cycles (which were always regular before) got really wacky. I don't have PCOS but endo & a dx of unexplained. Anyway, I'd spot most of my cycles. My OB thought it was stress-related; my RE scared me to death saying grief had nothing to do with it & I was entering menopause (b/w told a different story).

Vitex screwed me up. So did other herbals. After reading the IF Cure, I can see why the Vitex was not good for me, & have made some alterations in diet (need to do more though..[bl]). That's my NY resolution.

I started drinking a tea I found in my local Asian grocery store last cycle. It contained many of the herbs I 'needed' according to the book. It also contained blood builders which are healthy if you want to conceive.

I started it on cd 8 (as that's when I noticed it in the store) & within a day my spotting which always started two days after AF left & stayed till just before o.. then started at 6 or 7 dpo (or as early as 2-3 dpo) right through to AF stopped dead. I had a longer LP than 10 days for the first time in months. No spotting till 13 dpo..just like years ago. Not pg, but a better cycle than I could've dreamed from just a couple weeks of the tea.

I guess my point is.. try looking into TCM & a good start is the IF Cure. You won't regret it. [hug]
Not Ranked
Posts 15,551
heyjen replied on 01-03-2006 12:34 AM
I know your doc won't give you the met. Have you been tested for being insulin resistant? That's truly what it's for. Could you try that tact with your doc? General health improvement, weight loss, etc, insulin resistance, etc. Many women with PCO are insulin resistant. You could have a fasting glucose level taken. Met does help with delaying/preventing the development of type 2 diabetes.

http://www.bsc.gwu.edu/dpp/index.htmlvdoc
The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) was a major clinical trial, or research study, aimed at discovering whether either diet and exercise or the oral diabetes drug metformin (Glucophage) could prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes in people with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT).

The answer is yes. In fact, the DPP found that over the 3 years of the study, diet and exercise sharply reduced the chances that a person with IGT would develop diabetes. Metformin also reduced risk, although less dramatically. The DPP resolved these questions so quickly that, on the advice of an external monitoring board, the program was halted a year early. The researchers published their findings in the February 7, 2002, issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

Insulin resistance affects your ovaries.
Source Insulin Resistance - resistance to the effects of insulin produces an increase in insulin production and circulating levels (hyperinsulinemia) and can lead to skin disorders and elevated androgens (hyperandogenism). The elevated androgens like DHEAS and testosterone can lead to male pattern hair growth and acne. The androgens cause an increase in free estrogen (by reducing sex hormone binding globulin which binds both estrogens and androgens) which results in a decrease in FSH. The follicles are initially stimulated to grow but do not have enough FSH to continue to grow. This results in the polycystic appearance of the ovaries. Because follicles are not developing normally women will not ovulate normally and will not have normal menses.

The benefit of metformin on your fertility is that it lowers testosterone levels and helps your ovaries work better. It may help you make better eggs. http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/glucophage-metformin-pcos.html
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womenshealth/facts/pcos.htm

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/insulin-resistance.html They're selling a book, but it's got a list of herbs. Same site as a link above.
Natural Ways to Become Less Insulin Resistant
Increase exercise. Exercise is proven to reduce insulin problems.

Improve your diet.

Switch from refined carbohydrates to a complex carbohydrate, low glycemic diet
High ratio of soluble fiber to insoluble fiber.
Improve quality of fat
Avoid saturated fat
Avoid trans fats
Increase monosaturated oils
Increase omega 3 oils (fish, flax).
Smaller, more frequent meals.
Reduce alcohol intake.
Have mixed meals of carbohydrate, protein and fat.

Nutritional Supplements
A number of nutritional supplements may improve Syndrome X:

Biotin
Calcium
Chromium
Coenzyme Q10
Glucomannan (soluble fiber)
Lipoic acid
Magnesium
NAC (N-acetyl cysteine)
Quercetin
Selenium
Taurine
Vanadyl sulfate
Vitamin B6
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Zinc

I'd also do more research on any supplement you want to take.

http://www.melissadianesmith.com/Articles/HerbsNutrientsSupplementSyndromeX.html Syndrome X is a group of symptoms that are grouped together that put you at higher risk of diabetes and heart conditions. One symptom is insulin resistance.
The mineral standout among these may be chromium in the form of chromium picolinate. Chromium is so effective at reversing insulin resistance that one 1997 study found that 1,000 mcg of chromium picolinate daily reduced blood sugar and insulin levels in type 2 diabetics to near normal after four months-something that medications could not achieve (Diabetes, 1997, vol. 46). In various other studies, chromium also has been found to help normalize the individual components of Syndrome X.
And in daily dosages of 200 to 400 mcg, it helps those with reactive hypoglycemia (blood sugar highs followed by blood sugar lows). So, chromium acts as a blood sugar regulator. However, those who take sugar-lowering drugs should take note: Supplemental chromium works so well at improving insulin function that less medication is usually needed. Sometimes, medication can be eliminated completely over time. This is a good thing-it indicates a reversal or lessening of insulin resistance-but it also means that your customers should work with their doctors to carefully monitor their condition and avoid overmedicating themselves.

Chromium isn't the only supplement that helps reduce the high blood sugar levels that can occur with Syndrome X. Herbalists have long used various herbs, including ginseng, fenugreek, bitter melon and gymnema sylvestre, to lower blood sugar levels and research is slowly but surely confirming that these herbs do have blood-sugar-lowering properties. In one study out of the University of Toronto, healthy subjects who were given American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) had a 26 to 38 percent reduction in blood sugar levels, while diabetics who took the herb had a 20 percent reduction (Archives of Internal Medicine, 2000, vol. 160).

http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/ayurvediczone.asp?article_ID=1345 Has info for Ayurvedic treatment. As far as I understand it, Ayurveda is related to yoga and is a traditional healing practice in India.

Cinnamon: Help for Insulin Resistance and Weight Loss

I didn't really find much other info on "herbal" metformin. The things I found for you are more about lowering your insulin resistance, which I don't know you have. But lowering your IR, could make your ovaries work better.

[#] and [hug]

Jen

Mom to Baby GirlBaby BoyBaby BoyAngelBaby Girl

Not Ranked
Posts 62
nikki73 replied on 01-05-2006 2:50 PM
I have recently diagnosed PCOS. I beleive it only started after the birth of my last child, so I don't think I just got "lucky" with my healthy pregnancies. I am now ttc again, but my symptoms were awful and I was anovulatory. I could not even find a doctor to test and diagnose me, let alone prescribe meds so I began on my own. I read a book called "The Insulin Resistance Diet" which was very helpful. I used it's advice to change my diet. Nothing major, slow changes. I do not cut out carbs, but I did change to whole wheat and I do try to "balance" my carbs with protein for better blood sugar results. This just means I never eat a carb without a protein. I make my oatmeal with milk, I eat a sandwich with turkey meat, I drink milk when I cheat and have some chocolate. Stuff like that. I have always exercised daily so that helps of course. But once I changed my way of eating I lost 25 pounds (I had not gotten terribly overweight yet, but I was packing on the pounds weekly before this) and my symptoms got slightly better. Then I was finally able to get my diagnosis (funny since I was a bit better) but since I had luck on my own I decided to continue that way. I read everything I could find and decided to start on Vitex (600mg per day), then chromium (400mcg per day), and magnesium (400mg per day), also Flax seed (3000 mg per day), as well as a good multi-vitamin. Started feeling slightly better again on all that. Then I learned of NPC and did a three month shut down. My cycles returned! My mood improved and my outlook on ttc next month is high. Just last month I added Green Tea and this month Red Raspberry Tea. I feel so much better than I have in 2 years! Now of course, I must wait and see if all this results not only in a pregnancy but a sticky one, but like I said, I have hope now. I have not ttc throughout all of this. I forced myself to just wait so that I would be as healthy as I could make myself by Feb(the month I chose to start) and not have the stress of ttc on top of it all lowering my chances of getting healthy. Stress is such a bad thing for us PCOSers. I hope I've at least mentioned something you have not yet tried and given you something to work with. I wish you luck. Don't ever give up.
Not Ranked
Posts 2,503
twocrazydogs replied on 09-19-2006 5:03 PM
I know chromium picolinate is supposed to really help. When I 1st went to an RE like 5yrs ago and was leary about taking Met, he started me on 600mg chromium picolinate every day. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. That book everyone is talking about sounds very interesting, also look for books that talk about foods in terms of their glycemic index(i'm sure other's could give you titles). I've read trying to stick to foods with a low glycemic index is better and healthier than strict low carbing it.
I would also add you might think of taking a baby aspirin a day, often women with pcos can have clotting issues that interfere with implantation and cause m/c. I know an omega fatty acid supp. is really good. I love nordic naturals purified fish oil. I've recently added royal jelly to my list. Try using natural progesterone cream in your lp if you're having low p4 issues and if you get preggers again you can use it though the 1st tri if you're doc won't put you on anything, even if you want your whole pregnancy.
Here's what I take every day .....
AM
Synthroid(just got diagnosed hypothyroid)
Royal Jelly(by NOW)
B-complex(Enzymatic Therapy Fatigued to Fantastic)
PM
Good Prenatal
2000mg C
2000IU E
Purified Fish Oil 1000mg(Nordic Naturals)
81mg Aspirin
Metformin 1500mg
Royal Jelly

I also drink 28oz decaf green tea pre O to help with cm
Good luck, hopefully a combo of something will work for you soon. [hug]so sorry about your recent m/c, geez your doc is stupid!

Me 33 Heart DH 33

Not Ranked
Posts 1,088
Ahna replied on 07-24-2007 4:08 PM
Yes there is a herbal "Met" Its called Hyponidd, a Charak herbal Indian Medicine. I am taking it right now for PCOS. It has been proven in clinical studies to be as effective as Metformin for women with Insulin resistant PCOS. I am not Insulin Resistant, but I am trying it first before I take drugs ect.
Not Ranked
Posts 350
twacky replied on 10-29-2007 11:57 AM
Here in SA cinnamon and cinnamon extract is marketed as a supplement to lower insulin sensitivity. I think I read that the equivalent of 2 tsp per day can have dramatic results on blood sugar...tastes pretty good too!
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS