help

Vitamin B6 causing headaches?

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 639
summerrose Posted: 10-07-2009 12:56 PM
I started taking 100mg of B6 on CD1 to try to lengthen my LP and every morning (CD5 today) I've woken up with a killer headache. I usually only get a headache the first couple days of AF. I usually take the vitamin in the afternoon (along with my prenatal) so not sure if it's related since the headache isn't until the next morning. Has this happened to anyone else?

Me (27)  DH (28)
DS1 - Carter James born Sept. 13, 2008, 6 weeks early, 4lbs 12oz, BF 14 months

DS2 - Sullivan Patrick born July 5, 2010, 39+3 weeks, 6lbs 11oz, BF

Not Ranked
Posts 404
crossgirl_15 replied on 10-07-2009 1:15 PM
Lets try this again. It ate my post.

I get headachs from the b6 and npc, its a normal side effect. I just drink more water and take tylenol. I wouldn't worry unless the headachs get worse or don't go away. If you are really worried about it, knock the dosage down to 50mg or just take it every other day. It take a little while for your body to get used to it, hence the headachs. I only get headachs with it now when I play with my dosage.

Good luck!

Andrea
http://tcoyf.com/members/crossgirl_5F00_15/pccharts/default.aspx

Me: 26 DH:30 *BFP 10/31/09 w/1st round of clomid. EDD 7/11/10*

Baby Girl June 19th, 2010. 36 weeker, 6lbs 11oz, Praise God!!!

Actively TTC #2 since 6 months PP Pray for a BFP

My Blog: http://heartsandwindmills.blogspot.com/

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 9,287
agness13 replied on 10-07-2009 1:44 PM
My acu said that they have folks take a b-complex. She said the proportion of all the B vitamins taken together was important. Here is the formula from the one she recommended I take (or similar):

B6 - 206.8 mg
Folate - 200 mcg
B12 - 100 mcg
Biotin - 80 mcg
Niacin - 80 mg
Thiamine - 40 mg
Riboflavin - 28.6 mg
Pantonene - 45 mg
(Choline Citrate - 40 mg)

as taken from the Thorne B-Complex #6
( http://www.thorne.com/media/B106.pdf)

"pregnancy...an episodic, moderately extended chronic condition with a definable mortality risk to which females are uniquely though not uniformly susceptible" Read my blog...

Not Ranked
Posts 36
mummywannabe replied on 10-07-2009 9:30 PM
Hi there,

Am so glad you posted about this. I started to take Vit B complex about 3 days ago and yesterday afternoon I had the most awful migraine. I suffer from migraines now and again but have not had one for months and they usually come around AF, which is not due for another 2 weeks. The headache is still there this morning so am wondering if it is the Vit B, I will persevere but if it continues might have to stop.

Cross girl did you find it took long for your body to adjust?

Great post am now going to drink a liter of water [L]see if I can shift it.
Thanks a lot Vicki

Me:32    DB:40

TTC#1 since 2005 Fingers CrossedPray

Furbabies : 3 Dogs and 1 Cat

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 10-08-2009 8:56 AM
Headaches(esp migraines) are one of the signs of an overdose of B6. Lower your dose and if you are not taking it as a complex then find a good one. You also need to make sure that a percentage of the B6 is supplied as P5P (pyridoxal-5-phosphate). Too much Niacin can also cause this.

These are the RDA
B6 2.5mg
Folic acid/folate 400.0mcg TTC/PG 800mcg-1mg
B12 6.0mcg
Biotin 300.0mcg
Niacin 20.0mg
Thiamine 1.5mg
Riboflavin 1.7mg
Pantothenic Acid 10.0mg

High levels of Biotin increase your need for B6 and high levels of B12 can cause folic acid related anemia if these two are not in balance. Too much Niacin increases choline requirements. Know what you are taking and why. Most multis provide what you need and if you feel the need for extra do your research before taking anything and as always ask your DR.
Not Ranked
Posts 404
crossgirl_15 replied on 10-08-2009 2:06 PM
Mummy- I was advised to start out at 200mg, WAY too much for me, it didn't do nice things to my body. I bumped it down to 100mg the entire cycle and seem to be fine. It took 2 cycles to adjust. I try to play with the dosage after ovulation to see if it will extend my lp at 200mg, but I can end up with headachs doing that. I have found that if I take 100mg in am and 100mg in pm when I'm trying to up it after ovulation I don't seem to get a headache. But since I'm starting on clomid tomorrow I'm sticking to 100mg and will stay there this whole cycle.

We are [pr] and [fc]!!! So [#] and [bd] to all!

Andrea
http://tcoyf.com/members/crossgirl_5F00_15/pccharts/default.aspx

Me: 26 DH:30 *BFP 10/31/09 w/1st round of clomid. EDD 7/11/10*

Baby Girl June 19th, 2010. 36 weeker, 6lbs 11oz, Praise God!!!

Actively TTC #2 since 6 months PP Pray for a BFP

My Blog: http://heartsandwindmills.blogspot.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 36
mummywannabe replied on 10-09-2009 10:20 PM
Hello,

Thanks for replying to me with those doses. The headaches seemed to be holding off now, was headache free yesterday and today.

I am taking Centrium Multivit and a Vit B complex 50 with Folic Acid.

B6 = 3mg
B12 = 59 mcg
Biotin = 95 mcg
Niacin = 20mg

It seems that maybe the B12 is too high but it also seems that others take higher. I am a vegetarian and whilst I try really hard to ensure a balanced diet sometimes I feel that it would benefit me to take the multivits at this time just to be careful.

I think I might persevere for now, unless you think these are really too high?

Thanks again for the replies.
Vicki
[bd][bd] to all.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 10-10-2009 7:29 AM
Anything that causes an adverse reaction is too much for YOU. It doesn't matter what the others take it is what your body needs that is the concern. Find a dose that works for you with out the reaction. The S/E only get worse over time and some are not reversible. Look at the RDA start from there. Write down what is available in your multi and the add to that. These three need to travel together so to speak, Folic Acid, B6 and B12. If you add a complex it will have many of the others as well normally. There may be one that just has these three but the dose is much too high to take with out a DRs RX in my opinion. You want a total of between 8oomcg and 1000mcg(1mg) Folic Acid and I would rec no more than the following 50mg B6 and 50mcg B12 without speaking to your Dr. You can take them as individual supps and control the amts easier. Those don't really stand out except the biotin which is on the low side, but if you are eating well you should be getting what you need. Just an added note there have been studies done on NSAIDS and fertility and they are finding that large doses and frequent use can delay/disrupt ovulation so you want to take care with those as well.(Tylenol, Paracet is not an NSAID but many women take things listed on the NSAID list for pain.)
Not Ranked
Posts 36
mummywannabe replied on 10-10-2009 9:21 PM
dj rayne your awesome.... thanks a lot for that.

I don't take NSAID's that often and I really tried not to take any other day with the headache we only had Panadol in the house. So I went out to grab some Paracetamol, but usually with a headache my first course of action is to drink a couple of pints of water and 9/10 this works.

I am going to write to my RE just to check what they feel is going to be the right dose for me and most likely change over the a pre natal vit supplement soon.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

P.S Sorry Summerrose I didn't mean to hijack your thread [bl]

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 9,287
agness13 replied on 10-11-2009 11:09 AM
I have been taking a different b-complex and was hit or miss with taking it last week. When AF arrived I had a killer, mean headache for days. I was probably taking too much as well. I was looking at the healthfood store yesterday at the b-complex options and most seem really high dosages. I'm going to keep looking.

Floradix is an iron supplement that also contains b vits. That might be another option.

"pregnancy...an episodic, moderately extended chronic condition with a definable mortality risk to which females are uniquely though not uniformly susceptible" Read my blog...

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS