Archive Site


Compare Charts


Amalgam fillings/ mercury/ ttc

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 66
labbylover Posted: 07-17-2009 4:26 AM
Like many children of the 80's, I have several amalgam fillings in my mouth (metal fillings).

They contain mercury and some say slowly release mercury into your body as your teeth wear down. You can have them removed and replaced... but that may end up exposing you to more mercury.

Has anyone else thought about this? Obviously mercury is very harmful to a fetus. I'm TTC so just wondering if it would be worth having them removed. My dentist says I probably get more mercury from eating fish... but I've read different things.

Anyone thought about this?
Not Ranked
Posts 714
sassybear replied on 07-17-2009 6:37 PM
I think this is a decision you have to make. Your dentist may not think it's dangerous, but do you? It seems that if your fillings are old maybe all the mercury has been absorbed or released already?

Some people might think it's paranoia and maybe the fillings are ok, but with all the other toxic things we're exposed to (like the fish your dentist mentioned) everyday that we can't control it kind of adds up. Maybe the little bit in your teeth isn't much, but add what you're getting through food, water, vaccines and it's more than enough to cause health problems somewhere down the line imho.

Personally, I've had all mine out and all my fillings now are composite. But, mine didn't come out by choice- my old silver ones just didn't hold up which makes me wonder how strong they really say they are. I'll never get another one again. I'd rather pay more out of pocket and be safe rather than sorry. I'm certainly not an expert on this topic though. I just googled and ended up with this article. Stick out tongue I have no idea how true any of this is because I read one ADA supporting article that said no mercury is released. Supposedly once it's added to the other metals in the filling it changes the chemistry of it. So, as usual there's conflicting info.
Mercury is steadily released from amalgams 24 hours a day. This release is accentuated by chewing and eating hot foods. After 5 years have elapsed about 50 % of the mercury is no longer in the amalgam. The released mercury has entered the body (80 %) and escaped from the body (20 %) in expired air. This expired air serves as a source for spouses, friends, and relatives to become contaminated with mercury. The person who has had his amalgams removed can thus be refilled with mercury from the spouse who still has a mouth full of mercury containing amalgams.

How Can Amalgams Be Safely Removed?

When the patient is not protected from re-breathing mercury vapor as amalgams are removed, the patient may become worse from the inhalation of more mercury that they can tolerate. Individuals have become quadriplegic and comatose because they were inadequately protected from re-breathing mercury vapor during amalgam extraction. All persons have different tolerances for mercury so amalgam release might cause no effect in one person and yet be able to produce coma in another. Therefore caution in removal of amalgams is imperative.

Mr Moore strongly advises that a nitrous oxide nosepiece be taped to the nose so that non mercury vapor containing air, oxygen or a combination of both can be breathed during the extraction process. There is enough mercury in a large molar amalgam to cause the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) to close a 10 acre fishpond as the fish would be too toxic to eat.

My Chart     me  33     dh 30      ds 3




Not Ranked
Posts 66
labbylover replied on 07-17-2009 10:30 PM
I guess my thinking is that I'd like to get them replaced... but I fear I may expose myself to more mercury in that process. My dentist said there is no way to fully protect yourself from inhaling through your mouth during the process (even with a damn- I think that's what they call it). I can't imagine not inhaling from my mouth at all during the procedure. It's a tricky one...
Not Ranked
Posts 714
sassybear replied on 07-17-2009 11:20 PM
Yeah, it's a tricky one. Smile I don't know how long it takes to remove a filling, but it would be kind of difficult to not breathe through your mouth. Now that I think about it, I don't remember my dentist ever taking precautions with mine at the time Surprise

If they're really old fillings maybe it's possible that most of it has already leaked out, scary as that sounds. Eventually I would think they would need to be replaced though just due to wear. [#]

My Chart     me  33     dh 30      ds 3




Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS