Archive Site

Search

help

Can A Milk Allergy Cause Ear Infections??? Any Advice Please....

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 19
jellybelly2121 Posted: 04-11-2011 1:27 PM

DS is 16 months.  His entire first year he had a cow milk/egg allergy.  Around his first birthday we had him retested and it showed that he outgrew the allergy.  He has been having whole milk, cheese, yogurt, etc for about  4 solid months now with no reactions at all (hives, eczema, rashes on skin, etc).  At his 15 month appointment the ped was looking in his ears and said he had an ear infection.  We put him on antibiotics and when he went back to have his ears checked it was gone. About a week later he developed another cough and runny nose (this was the only symptom he had when he had the ear infection at his 15 month appointment...otherwise he was acting great). I brought him in b/c I just wanted to have his ears checked. Sure enough he had ANOTHER ear infection. They put him on a stronger antibiotic. He has finished the medicine and goes back next week to have his ears re-checked.

I started doing some research and it's ALL over the web about how a milk allergy can cause ear infections. Does anyone have any advice/experiences with this?  I am so surprised the doctors never said anything or linked it. Maybe it's not related?? I just don't understand why he got this ear infection out of the blue (he's not in daycare or exposed to many germs) and then a week later got another one. Maybe he still has the milk allergy? I don't want to keep putting him on antibiotics!!

Thanks SO much ladies  Flowers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 984
atavares replied on 04-12-2011 9:11 AM

Sorry you're going through this.  My experience is just from when I was a kid, but everyone I knew that was allergic to milk had tubes in their ears because of repeat ear infections.  Many of them though were able to deal fine with goat's milk and had no infections.

Not Ranked
Posts 1,007
Jonnysgirl replied on 04-12-2011 12:43 PM

Yes, absolutely.  Even a slight intolerance to dairy can cause ear infections as well as other problems.  Dairy causes mucous to thicken therefore not drain well.  It's very easy to avoid with all the wonderful dairy alternatives out there.  Dr's do not know a lot about allergies or intolerances at all.  They would rather treat the symptoms than get to the root of the problem....and so many times the root of our health problems is food.  Good luck.

Not Ranked
Posts 1,007
Jonnysgirl replied on 04-12-2011 12:54 PM

I was also going to say that just because he tested negative for a dairy allergy doesn't mean he can now tolerate it.  Both my kids tested neg. for dairy everytime yet if they consume any they get a whole host of problems.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2,950
tobyisrnewfie replied on 04-28-2011 6:27 PM

A true allergy does not cause ear infections. A true IgE mediated allergy will cause hives, swelling, eczema, breathing difficulties.

Also, one is truely allergic to milk should never drink goat's milk as the proteins are very similar.

Me:42    DH: 42

Our boys (large, medium, and small) Baby Boy13  Baby Boy 8  Baby Boy3

My Family & Food Allergy Blog

Not Ranked
Posts 249
jennayoung99 replied on 04-29-2011 12:09 PM

i think the issue is a milk allergy or intolerance can cause yeast infections which can present in the ears. which ever way you want to word it, ear infections can be related to a milk allergy. my sister and neice have dairy allergies and soy and rice milk are great alternitives.

~Jenna

Me: 24 Harrsion my husband: 26 - married June 16th 2007

TTC since Sept 2010, not TTA for 3 years.

BFP!!!! on Dec 27th 2010!!!! Heart beat heard on march 8, 2011!!! saw my baby's face on april 19, 2011 via ultrasound!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy ticker

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/jennayoung99/charts/2.aspx

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2,950
tobyisrnewfie replied on 05-01-2011 5:01 PM

jennayoung99:

i think the issue is a milk allergy or intolerance can cause yeast infections which can present in the ears. which ever way you want to word it, ear infections can be related to a milk allergy. my sister and neice have dairy allergies and soy and rice milk are great alternitives.

No, a milk allergy does not cause yeast infections. A milk allergy causes hives, swelling, trouble breathing, vomitting, etc.  They are absolutely not "related".

Ear infections in many children are due to the fluid not draining properly which is primarily due to the geography of the ear/eustacean (sp!) tube. It slants inward, so instead of draining out, it stays in and festers. Many children with FAs get ear infections, but many children w/o FAs get ear infections.

Me:42    DH: 42

Our boys (large, medium, and small) Baby Boy13  Baby Boy 8  Baby Boy3

My Family & Food Allergy Blog

Not Ranked
Posts 19
jellybelly2121 replied on 05-09-2011 11:53 AM

Thanks so much for ALL your responses.  After talking to the ped and doing some experiments with eliminating cow milk for awhile, etc it's pretty obvious the cow milk is what what causing his ear issues. Going to head back to the allergist here in a few days.  Thanks so much again :-)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS