help

4 year old boy peeing a lot

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 1,737
theeaglehaslanded Posted: 03-02-2011 12:01 PM

My son will be 4 at the end of the month.  He has been having to go to the bathroom every few minutes during the day and before bed.  He pees just a little each time but says it always feels like he has to pee.  He started this a couple months ago.  We saw a pediatric urologist who said it is psychological since he can hold it all night while sleeping 9 to 10 hours.  After that visit it stopped for a bit.  Now this is back in full and even happening at daycare.  Two weeks ago he was sick with a high fever and some cold symptoms.  We went to the pediatrician and while there they did a urine test to check for a bladder infection because he was complaining about his tummy hurting.  Results were no infections of any type, no strep, no bladder infection, no ear infection, just a bad virus. 

The peeing every couple minutes is crazy.  This morning he peed about 8 times in less than 1 hour. Then we got in the car to go to daycare, which is literally 3 minutes away.  On the way there he said he had to pee again. 

Do we go back to the urologist or do I wait this out?

Thanks

Michele

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 4,964
piper replied on 03-02-2011 2:26 PM

Well I am a 35 year old adult and have the same issue - the urologist tried me on over active bladder meds but they made things worse - the next step was exploratory surgery which I passed on at the time as we were about to start IVF  - so not sure if a child would/could experience over active bladder and if/how they would treat it but I would ask the urologist about that.

I have been like this for YEARS but was always told "you just have a small bladder" - I constantly feel like I have to pee and then just go a little bit - On car trips I never take one sip of water - it sucks!

Anyway, just wanted to share my story and I hope you find out whats going on with your DS

me: 35 Kiss  DH: 44

Baby Boy Sept 2008 - IVF/ICSI

Baby Girl March 2011 - au natural

Not Ranked
Posts 60
onehandinmypocket replied on 03-02-2011 5:45 PM

It sounds like pollakiuria (I think I spelled that right). I have a friend whose daughter had that when she was 4. She had a near constant need to urinate during the day. From what I understand, it is an anxiety/stress response. In my friend's daughter's case, it went away on its own within a few months. 

Not Ranked
Posts 288
beyondblesses replied on 03-09-2011 10:51 AM

We had this happen with our 5 yr old recently, and the ped mentioned it was probably related to stress.  After talking it through with my husband, we concluded that DS was so concerned with staying dry at night that he would go constantly during the day.  Sure enough, once we let him sleep in underwear, the daytime bathroom visits lessened.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS