help

progesterone + late period?

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bing Posted: 02-09-2011 9:47 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just started a cycle with progesterone suppositories. My dr said to take them for 12 days after O, then take a pregnancy test. The test came back negative, and I am now on day 16 post O and my period hasn't come yet. My temps have been high -- however, I just realized this morning that maybe the thermometer is not the best one to use. (I've been using the kind that goes in the ear -- I originally bought it to take my toddler son's temp but I'm starting to feel it's not that accurate). 

Anyway -- does progesterone make your period come late, even after it's been a couple days since you last took it?

Not Ranked
Posts 466
edowns88 replied on 02-09-2011 2:07 PM

Hi, I took Progesterone until 16 DPO and then quit. It did take 2-3 days before my period kicked in. I think they tell people to expect bleeding within 14 days of stopping it which I know is frustrating and can be as painful as the 2ww. You just need your levels to drop to trigger your lining to shed. I wouldn't worry about temps.. I learned last cycle once you throw progesterone (and other meds) into the mix, it means absolutely nothing.

My Chart

Me: 31 Husband: 32 Hoping for baby #1 in someday!!

History: 5 years of marriage not TTC, but not TTA either = no pregnancy, Chronic Spotter

October, November 2010: Clomid 50 mg - BUST

December 2010: Break! HSG done on CD 5 - All clear!

January 2011: Clomid 100 mg, Ovidrel CD 13, Estrogen and Prometrium.....only stimulated one follicle; cyst on left ovary discovered

February 2011: Clomid 150 mg, no follicles stimulated, left ovary cyst appears to look like an endometriosis cyst; Husband's SA revealed low morpholgoy

March 2011: Consulted with RE again; lap scheduled for April 2011; will move onto injectables once the endometriosis is cleared..probably paired with an IUI or IVF.

Other various supplements, herbs and acupuncture attempted as well.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2,244
Onebabysofar replied on 02-09-2011 2:53 PM

When I used progesterone it would take about 2 days for AF to show (give or take a day) . 

As far as the therm... I would guess that if it worked to show your thermal shift and O then it would be okay but a oral therm would be your best bet. 

GL to you!

My children. The ones that are here and the ones that met God before they met me. My journey with recurrent miscarriages, pregnancy, my faith, and my life.

Maria (34)  Old Charts

TTC #3    Current Charts

Not Ranked
Posts 6
thinkerbelle replied on 02-09-2011 5:44 PM

you are using the wrong type of thermometer. The type that goes in your ear is typically a fever thermometer and this will not be accurate.  You need to go buy a basal body thermometer.  This will give you the results you need. Also, you have to take it at the exact same time every single morning and be very consistent.  You cannot get out of bed before taking your temperature and if you have gotten out of bed in the last three hours before you take your temp then your temp won't be accurate.  It also won't be accurate if your sleep has been disturbed a lot.  

Not Ranked
Posts 466
edowns88 replied on 02-09-2011 5:48 PM

Actually you don't need a BBT thermometer and Toni's book mentions that specifically. People get too concerned with numbers rather than patterns.

My Chart

Me: 31 Husband: 32 Hoping for baby #1 in someday!!

History: 5 years of marriage not TTC, but not TTA either = no pregnancy, Chronic Spotter

October, November 2010: Clomid 50 mg - BUST

December 2010: Break! HSG done on CD 5 - All clear!

January 2011: Clomid 100 mg, Ovidrel CD 13, Estrogen and Prometrium.....only stimulated one follicle; cyst on left ovary discovered

February 2011: Clomid 150 mg, no follicles stimulated, left ovary cyst appears to look like an endometriosis cyst; Husband's SA revealed low morpholgoy

March 2011: Consulted with RE again; lap scheduled for April 2011; will move onto injectables once the endometriosis is cleared..probably paired with an IUI or IVF.

Other various supplements, herbs and acupuncture attempted as well.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS