help

estradiol (E2) < 20.0 on CD 3

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 10
annabee Posted: 01-05-2011 8:08 PM

Can't find much info on low estradiol.  All my searches bring up male body builder sites...which I am not!  :)  I am 34, have been off OC for 19 mos & charting until this past July when I thought it was getting in the way of my natural instincts.   I do not see a RE but just started acupuncture.  My acupuncturist was unsure of the significance on the low E2.  She looked a bit concerned with my FSH of 9.26 but all other day 3 labs were within normal limits.  I had "day 21"/progesterone blood work done today but think that will be off because my first negative OPK was today after 4 positive ones..so I probably just ovulated. Anyway...any info about low estradiol or your experiences with it will be much appreciated!  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 01-06-2011 5:33 AM

Can we see the complete list of your results?

Not Ranked
Posts 10
annabee replied on 01-06-2011 4:21 PM

Thank you for responding & inquiring!

Day 3:

PRL 4.93

FSH 9.26

LH 5.25

RTH 2.06 (I believe this is TSH)

E2 <20.0 (lab does not give a value if less than 20)

Testosterone, total 15

DHEA sulfate 158

Day 21 (actually 22):

PGN 15.7

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,790
jbizzy replied on 01-07-2011 3:21 AM

I think the E2 is low.  But I can't be positive.  I just remember mine being in the low 30's and my RE saying it was a little low, but that was it.  Never explained what that means to me.  Sorry, whish I could help more.

Who ordered the lab tests?  Can they explain the results? 

I found this website:  http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/low-estrogen-levels-can-this-affect-ovulation.html  talks about low Estrogen and how it can make ttc very difficult. 

Most of what I'm reading says a high E2 level can surpress FSH levels and interfer with ovulation, but the above web site says low E2 levels will cause thin uteran lining and there for a non-hospitable environment for implantaion. 

But I can't find the cut off number for low E2.  High is anything over 80-100.

Me 36, borderline low progesterone, light endo & fibroids removed 10/6/09.... Dh 37, borderline low morphology 

TTC#1 March 2006

First BFP 1/09/2010 wild yam root 500 mg cd 1-9, maca root 900 mg until 11 dpo, clomid 50 mg cd 5-9, NPC from 3 dpo, procheive suppositories 1st trimester

TTC Charts    TTA Charts

16 dpo beta 397, 18 dpo beta 863 Yes

Baby Girl born @ 41 weeks:  7 lbs 13 oz's, 20 inches long and healthy Heart

LOTS TO LOSE - weight loss buddy group (click on it for link)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 01-07-2011 5:18 AM

What are your cycles like and what unit is the progesterone in ng/ml or nmol/l?

Not Ranked
Posts 10
annabee replied on 01-07-2011 9:14 PM

ng/ml

Not Ranked
Posts 10
annabee replied on 01-07-2011 9:37 PM

Progesterone is in ng/ml.

My cycles are 28-31 days with O around day 19.  I think I have average CM and my cervix gets soft/high/open. My temps are on the low end but I do have a rise after O.  AF only lasts a few days and flow is scant...very different than the heavy/painful AF I had pre OC's. 

Not Ranked
Posts 10
annabee replied on 01-07-2011 10:07 PM

jbizzy:  Thank you so much for the link to that website and for the info!  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 01-08-2011 6:46 AM

All of your numbers look fine for that day with this history. FSH is on the high end but that is usually the body's way of compensating to get things going (raise FSH and everything else gets pulled along). As long as you are ovulating then estrogen is rising (with O on CD19 later than usual but still rising in sufficient amts for O). With A CD22 of 15.7 ng/ml ovulation is definitely strong and producing a good CL. That doesn't mean estrogen is not effecting your lining so it may well be addition of estrogen could be of benefit if you don't see a viable PG in a reasonable amt of time. Low estrogen also can throw off your E/P ratio and you'll see a shortened LP. Under 10 days and again you def may need some help in the estrogen dept. I'll pull up a menstrual flow chart and you can see if you have an adequate amt of lining. It still may be that it isn't developing correctly but the fewer things gone wrong the lower the boost you may need.If you are over 35 and have already been TTC then a visit to an RE or at least a GYN that is familiar enough with levels and how they work together (along with what they effect) should get you started on a supplement (usually a patch for estrogen). If you are taking anything over the RDA of 2-2.5mg of B6 STOP as higher amts than necessary lower estrogen. If you are under weight gaining a small percent can help.

jbizzy - anything lower than 20 on CD3 for estrogen is considered low

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 01-08-2011 6:55 AM

Realize that 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons, teaspoon = 5ml. A normal pad holds 5ml when full (1/3 - 1/2 of pad covered, blood seen clearly through the back). A super pad holds 10 ml. This is the same for tampons. Anything less than 5ml is too light and more than 80ml is too heavy. To amend the scale I went in and added measures by day for some of the levels.

The Mansfield-Voda-Jorgensen Menstrual Bleeding Scale can give you indication about how much you are bleeding:

1. Spotting. A drop or two of blood, not even requiring sanitary protection though you may prefer to use some. Use of a liner appropriate at this point. It will not be filled only marked.

2. Very light bleeding. You would need to change the least absorbent tampon or pad one or two times per day, though you may prefer to change more frequently.

3. Light bleeding. You would need to change a low or regular absorbency tampon or pad two or three times per day, though you may prefer to change more frequently. 15ml/day - 4 days of this is 60ml

4. Moderate bleeding. You would need to change a regular absorbency tampon or pad every three to four hours, though you may prefer to change more frequently. 4 pad changes =20ml/day 3days is again 60ml

5. Heavy bleeding. You would need to change a high absorbency tampon or pad every three to four hours, though you may prefer to change more frequently. 4 pad changes/day is 40ml and 2 days of this is 80ml

6. Very heavy bleeding or gushing. Protection hardly works at all; you would need to change the highest absorbency tampon or pad every hour or two. If this happens for longer than an 8 hour stretch you should call your DR.

Most with lighter to moderate, bleeds last longer; in general heavier are for shorter durations. 5ml will turn water in a toilet dark red and look like an incredibly massive amt. Many women have days that vary. If you change pads more frequently and they are not full you would double the number of pads to get the same amt of loss per day.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
annabee replied on 01-08-2011 8:38 PM

dj rayne & jbizzy: Thank you SO much for the information & advice.  Although this was my first post, I have been looking to both of you to answer my questions for the last two years...so it's nice to finally say "hello".  

jbizzy: I've also been following your journey and was so excited when you got your BFP...so a very late congratulations on your beautiful addition!

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS