help

if your temp drops later in the day...

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Not Ranked
Posts 95
crabrangoon Posted: 01-04-2011 9:19 PM

This is just my first cycle charting (and I LOVE it - they oughta teach us this stuff in school!!!) and I started mid-cycle.

I'm 12 DPO and have had PMS symptoms for a couple of days, and started spotting this afternoon.  My temp was still high this morning but by this evening it had dropped 2 degrees.  I was freezing, and figured why not check just to see, and it surprised me!

My temps stay very even through the day - I take it at 6:30 each morning but have checked it at other times just to see and it's always very close.

My first charting day, I THOUGHT, was the day before I ovulated; my temp was 97.5; the next day it was 98.5 and has stayed right around up there, within .3,  until today.  Now I'm thinking that maybe that first 97.5 day was not really my normal low, but I just happened to catch it on its way up to my normal high. 

Tonight, it's 96.6.  I've already charted the 98.2 from this morning but obviously things have kicked in during the day instead of during the night for me; should I leave the temp as it is on the chart though?  Or should I change it to reflect that my temp is lower now?  If I leave it, doesn't that make my luteal phase look a day longer than it really is? Shrug

Does anyone else find this happens to them, the drop during the day?  I was hoping to "predict" my period by the temp drop that morning, but if it doesn't kick in til later in the day, I won't be able to do that.

I don't suppose these things matter a WHOLE lot anyway; I'm just new to this charting stuff and getting totally absorbed in it! Laugh

Heart"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." -Terry Pratchett Heart

Idea just pretend there's a cool ticker here; my cycle keeps changing, and they can't keep up! Idea

My chart (I hope) - http://tcoyf.com/members/crabrangoon/pccharts/default.aspx 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,790
jbizzy replied on 01-05-2011 12:48 AM

The only temps you can use that are reliable for charting ovulation are first morning temps taken with at least 3 hours of consecutive sleep and with in an hour and a half of the same time each day.

Do not torture yourself by taking your temp through out the day.  Your body temp can vary, it means nothing, IMO.  Mine actually stayed relatively the same through out the day (who can resist temping a bunch of times- it's fun!). 

You won't be able to predict too much this cycle with out having a compete chart (from the beginning).  Even then, it can take a few charts to get the hang of things and even experienced charters get thrown a curve ball from time to time! 

Not all women get a temp drop prior or on the day of AF.  Mine typically went up the day she came but then dropped with in the following days. 

HTH and best of luck to you! Flowers

Me 36, borderline low progesterone, light endo & fibroids removed 10/6/09.... Dh 37, borderline low morphology 

TTC#1 March 2006

First BFP 1/09/2010 wild yam root 500 mg cd 1-9, maca root 900 mg until 11 dpo, clomid 50 mg cd 5-9, NPC from 3 dpo, procheive suppositories 1st trimester

TTC Charts    TTA Charts

16 dpo beta 397, 18 dpo beta 863 Yes

Baby Girl born @ 41 weeks:  7 lbs 13 oz's, 20 inches long and healthy Heart

LOTS TO LOSE - weight loss buddy group (click on it for link)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 8,555
dj rayne replied on 01-05-2011 4:55 AM

I'll add this to jbizzy's reply so you can see why your temp may be lower during the day and ditto her advice on starting with CD1 of your new cycle before you'll be able to tell anything.

This is a reply for another post but thought it would make an interesting read.  If you understand how your temps work and where you are likely to be during your daily circadian rhythym you can actually find value in the info. Same for those because of scheduling find they need to temp at a non standard time..Just remember you have to be consistent in taking temps and first AM is generally the most reliable.

dj rayne replied on Fri, May 14 2010 5:16 AM

If you need to understand how your body works in relation to temperature then it is understandable why this works.  It is why I offered the method I offered. Not everyone has a set night routine and so sometimes the combo works if you understand you are looking at two sets of ranges. It also works once you have gotten in bed if you are someone that reads or watches TV. Take your temp at the same time while doing the same thing (not immediately after a shower or brushing your teeth or after BD for that matter - take it before) Each of our systems has an optimum temperature range that it performs in and not all operate best at the same temp. Our bodies use a technique called endothermic homeothermy to provide a steady state for physiological and biochemical functions(steady state = stable BBT). Precise regulation of metabolic heat production and heat loss maintains our core body temp in a specific range. This is over a broad range of environmental conditions (Ambient temp during sleep being one). Each person has their own internal clock that governs circadian rhythm and determines how their temp cycles over the course of a day.The graph at the bottom is from a study on circadian rhythm and shows how our temp rises and falls from midnight to midnight. Your individual temps may be slightly higher or lower but follow the same or a similar pattern. The timing may be slightly different depending on whether you are a night owl or an early bird. There are few things that impact core temp during the sleep phase of our cycle significantly; they are dehydration, extreme change in ambient temperature (the types of change that cause hypothermia or heat exhaustion/stroke), progesterone and alcohol. There are two others in addition to the afore mentioned that can also have an impact during our wake portion they are exercise and eating. Sweating and shivering are our body’s way of dumping or increasing heat to keep our core temp stable. Depending on where you are in your daily rhythm when you commonly take your temp can determine how easily your BBT is affected by movement and ambient temp. This is one reason why some people see little/no change in BBT no matter what the circumstance(waking early, change in night time room temp), their temp time is within the 3 hours after temps begin to fall significantly to two hours after temps begin to rise as regulated by their circadian clock. This usually translates to 5 hours after falling asleep and two hours before rising for people that are not constrained by work or other scheduling and can choose their own sleep time as well as allowing for waking up naturally. Others that do see a marked difference are temping after their BBT has begun to rise and/or their temp time does not reflect a time during their body’s normal low period because their sleep pattern may not match their C.R. due to work, matching a partner’s schedule or a child’s. These people are more readily affected by ambient room temp, movement, partner/child’s movement, waking early or late. Knowing where you fit can help you decide whether that temp is a keeper or one to discard. Sometimes experimenting with your temp time is a good way to determine where you are.

Ok the graph won’t copy but I will try to give you a visual. From Midnight to 4am your temp falls from 96.8 to 95, from 4am to 8am it rises from 95 to 96.8 where it continues to rise until noon when it reaches 98.6. Here it begins a slow dip to 96.8 at 2pm (siesta) and slowly rises back to 98.6 around 5pm. It is all downhill from 5pm to midnight with a steady decline to 96.8 at midnight. For some adding 1 degree to each temp mentioned brings them closer to their norm for those times(again eating and exercise, dehydration will affect day temps) starting the cycle earlier or later for others corresponds better to the temps given. For example my temps hit their absolute low at 2am not 4am and my temps start to rise from 2am to 6am. I also have to add 1 degree for each temp mentioned to get close to my temps.  You'll have to menatally draw in the gentle curves from one temp to the next.

98.6                                 98.6

96.8________________96.8________________96.8_________________________96.8

12         2         4          6         8         10       12          2            4            6            8          10        12

Not Ranked
Posts 95
crabrangoon replied on 01-05-2011 8:19 AM

Ok, thanks.

I do always take it at the same time every morning.  It's funny because that's about the only time I"m ever warm enough during the day... I'm always freezing, but by early morning I've finally heated up my little cave under the blankets and am all toasty Big Smile

This morning I was 98.0; lower than I have been since O so that makes since, but not the bigger drop I was hoping I would be able to use for future predition purposes... oh well, now that I know I should always be about the same from O to AF, that'll make it easier!

Heart"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." -Terry Pratchett Heart

Idea just pretend there's a cool ticker here; my cycle keeps changing, and they can't keep up! Idea

My chart (I hope) - http://tcoyf.com/members/crabrangoon/pccharts/default.aspx 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS