Archive Site

Search

help

How long did it take your Metformin side effects to lessen?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 8,850
ThreePrinces Posted: 12-14-2010 3:17 PM

Title asks the question

I've been on Metformin XR for several weeks now, 1000mg/day.  I am still miserable.  I get very sick immediately after I eat.  I take the Metformin one with lunch and one with dinner so that I can at least have the morning to run errands/workout/help in my son's class, etc.  Because once I take a pill, I'll sick as a dog.  [:'(]  Laugh

TTC (this time) since February 2008.  Long history of Secondary Infertility.

June 13, 2011:  BFP on 12dpo!  Due exactly 4 years after I began TTC.

chart:  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16c283

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is permanent.

Not Ranked
Posts 256
manda_kate replied on 12-14-2010 4:28 PM

I started on 500mg per day of Metformin in February, and it took me about 2-3 weeks to get used to it. I was bumped up to 1000mg per day in July, and 1500mg per day in September. With each increase, I felt sick for about a week after starting it, then it went away.

I take pills with each meal of the day, and as long as I eat with them, it doesn't bother me anymore. I make sure to eat about half my food, take my pill, then eat the other half. It seems to work better for me that way.

Good luck!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 1,687
1fitmama replied on 12-14-2010 6:58 PM

threeprinces....I'm guessing your XR pills are 500mg each??  I'm on 1000mg XR (glumetza) and haven't had a problem, but mine is one 1000mg pill a day, taken @ night....are you eating before or after you take the pills?  Here's what my docs told me...take it after you eat, right before bed.  I'm so sorry you are having the side effects.  You may want to call your doc and see if you can back it down to 500mg a day for awhile, so your body can adjust, then increase the dose againHugFlowers

Me 33 Kiss DH 35

DS 5 Baby Boy 10/25/05 (born @ 41+2, 5lbs 15oz due to being IUGR from Pre-E)

Dx with non-IR PCOS January 2009 but have been off BCP since April 2008

On 1000mg of Metformin XR daily. Cycles are finally around 40-50 days long and I am ovulating!

Cycle 4 on Metformin; Nest on CD 24; 14DPO~2/6/10 BFP!!!Surprise EDD 10/17/10 (according to ultrasound), just one day difference from when DS was due in 2005 (10/16/05)!! Big Smile

BIG Ultrasound JUNE 1st!!  It's a GIRL!!!  Baby Girl

Baby Girl Born via elective repeat csection on 10/11/10 @ 10:27am, 7lbs 5oz, 19inches long!! 

http://www.tcoyf.com/members/1fitmama/charts/4.aspx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 8,850
ThreePrinces replied on 12-14-2010 7:39 PM

Thank you both so much for your thoughts!

Yes, the pills are 500mg each.  I was on regular Metformin at first, and after a week of that misery my endo called in the XR.  It's niceR, but still miserable.  At least with the XR I only have the bad cramps and diarrhea, (sorry TMI), and with the regular I had nausea on top of that.  Still, I feel like my life is revolving around when I'll feel sick.  Because it is.  I had my hubby's company's work Christmas party last weekend and I didn't eat any of the catered dinner because I knew it would make me ill.

I've always been very sensitive to medications, so I'm not surprised...I'm just hoping it doesn't last much longer.

TTC (this time) since February 2008.  Long history of Secondary Infertility.

June 13, 2011:  BFP on 12dpo!  Due exactly 4 years after I began TTC.

chart:  http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/16c283

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is permanent.

Not Ranked
Posts 190
TryingFor3 replied on 12-15-2010 7:58 AM

Threeprinces, I can completely relate to what you are going through with the Mewtformin s/e. Mine never went away even after switching to ER Metformin. It was awful!! I did learn that it mattered WHAT I ate while taking Metformin. Any pastas, breads, essentially any carbs, sugars, anything of the sort made me sick or running to the bathroom shortly after eating. However, even after omitting these foods and switching to ER, I still had no relief of the s/e, and I was on it for damn near a year! I ended up stopping taking them and don't regret it for one second. Good luck to you, I hope you get some relief soon. Those Metformin s/e are brutal!! Flowers

Lance (30) Kiss Laura (30) Baby GirlCheyenne-12/95-Born @ 32wks-3lbs 14oz Baby GirlEmma-5/07-Born 38.5 weeks-6lbs 7oz

TTC #2 for 10 years, while suffering with Endo.

TTC #3 for 2+ years, so far

Dx with PCOS 1/25/10

Dx with Septate Uterus 7/6/10

Not Ranked
Posts 1,361
tiffjo replied on 12-15-2010 7:35 PM

i agree with TryingFor3 - that it really matters what you eat. i try to keep an eye on the glycemic index/glycemic load of the foods i eat and it helps a lot. a salad for lunch - as opposed to like a burger and fries - really makes a huge difference. and i eat snacks as the day goes on so i'm not gobbling dinner and making myself sick. mixed nuts around 4pm are great for tiding me over until dinner.

the saddest day for me (haha) was when i knew i needed to stop drinking a dr. pepper everyday with lunch. sad sad day. Laugh Laugh Laugh but gosh, i feel so much better when i don't have all that sugar.

i take 500mg twice a day too. like 1fitmama said, i take the second one with a snack (wheat toast with peanut butter) like minutes before bed because eating it with dinner was a disaster.

i mean, yeah, i haaaate having to diet and watch what i eat, but gosh, feeling icky is the best "diet plan" in the world - i have no will power otherwise.

i really hope you're able to find a way to feel better. i'm sorry you're feeling so awful! keep us updated!

http://www.tcoyf.com/forum/chart.asp?id=tiffjo

me: 32, DH: 30, dear kitty: "kitty"

off BCP and charting since sept 2007. fairly regular, but sometimes long-ish (35+ day) cycles, when unmedicated.
fertility workup in early 2009 - "healthy as a horse." Shrug
finally a little traction - slightly high insulin levels: started Metformin November 2010.

Natural IVF (no drugs, just retrieval of the naturally matured egg) - June 2011 -- BFP! wow!
14dp5dt - beta 1,382!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Idols can't send rain, and showers don't fall by themselves. Only you control the rain, so we put our trust in you, the LORD our God." Jeremiah 14:22 

Then the Lord said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh? Why did she say, ‘Can an old woman like me have a baby?’ Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return about this time next year, and Sarah will have a son.” Genesis 18:13-14. She was 90 years old. Amen!

[Praying for a child] Hannah said, "...The only thing I've been pouring out is my heart, pouring it out to God. [I am weeping] because I'm so desperately unhappy and in such pain that I've stayed here so long."1 Samuel 1:15-16. Oh sister, we know how you feel!

oh Lord, please redeem this suffering for Your glory. Amen.

psalm 66:19-20 God has listened; He has heard my prayer! Praise God, who did not ignore my prayer or hold back his love from me!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS