help

Can't figure out coverline

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 0 Followers

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Not Ranked
Posts 111
happyincanada Posted: 09-11-2006 3:53 PM
I'm new to this...only taking temp for a little over a week. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do a coverline, or why it is important. The description in tcoyf doesn't make any sense to me!

Can someone please help and explain?

Thank you!
Not Ranked
Posts 255
Wishing4 replied on 09-11-2006 4:03 PM
Here is the answer I gave someone two days ago:

"It was a little confusing for me too. The way I understand it is that whatever day you are on, count the six previous days and the coverline is above that. So, with my chart I'm on day CD18 as I'm typing this. Looking at the 6 days before today, the highest is 98.2 so my coverline goes above that. I hope that helps."

I'm now on CD20. I think I've o'd but my temps are a little strange to me, so I've got it set to CF only (so there is no coverline right now). So ignoring CF, drawing a coverline today would be over the highest which is 98.4.
Not Ranked
Posts 15,551
heyjen replied on 09-11-2006 4:28 PM
From the program glossary:

Coverline: A line drawn 0.1° F / 0.05° C above the highest of the previous six temperatures on a fertility chart. When three successive temperatures are above this line, a thermal shift is identified and there's a good chance that ovulation has already occurred. Note that a Normal setting for the TCOYF rule interpretation option within the Calculation tab of Preferences window will permit you to have as little as four temperatures when calculating a coverline (but will use six if they are available). A Strict setting requires six temperatures. TCOYF automatically draws a coverline for you on your Chart when you have enough data to do so. The coverline may change as you cycle progresses.

Refer to page 77 in Taking Charge of Your Fertility (Revised Edition) for more information on how a coverline is drawn (in the First Edition, please refer to page 73).

When you are charting your temperature, you are looking for a biphasic pattern. A set of low temps pre ovulation and a set of higher temps post Time.

If you're using pencil and paper to chart, pay attention to your previous 6 temps and identify the highest of the six.

You draw the CL when you recognize the first day your temp rises at least .2 (two tenths) of a degree (F) over the highest of your previous 6 temps.

The CL is drawn .1 degree over these previous 6 temps. Ovulation would be .1 degree minimum over the CL for a minimum of 3 days. Or you'd be .2 degrees over the previous 6 temps for 3 days.

It's a visual aid to make reading a chart easier.

If you're using a program like TCOYF, the coverline is drawn for you .1 degree over the previous 6 temps. It can go up or down given those previous 6 temps.

Jen

Mom to Baby GirlBaby BoyBaby BoyAngelBaby Girl

Not Ranked
Posts 418
*~*Tabitha*~* replied on 09-11-2006 5:51 PM
You are probably a little early to calculate the cl... but I used FF for free to get my cl the first time. It was really helpful for me to have the s/w do the work for me! WinkWink
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48,476
Theresa replied on 09-12-2006 10:04 AM
A coverline will be drawn in the fertile phase when you have one temp above the previous six. This line will adjust itself based on the latest information, so don't consider it "gospel" until you get 3 temps above the line!

TCOYF will even draw a coverline when you have no temps above the CL -- if you are close to ovulation and no temps have spiked yet, it will draw the coverline at the appropriate place just above your highest temp.

Regarding an initial coverline not being valid, it DOES happen. For example, if you have two high temps above the previous six and then have 2 or more days of sub-CL temperatures after them, this causes the original CL to no longer be "valid." TCOYF will redraw the coverline to include the two "high" temps (or will use a Rule of Thumb to eliminate one of them, if possible).

Take care,

Theresa

Not Ranked
Posts 381
LMo replied on 09-12-2006 3:18 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm confused, too! Stick out tongue

How come the s/w changes the coverline depending on the preference settings for calculating ovulation? Specifically, if I set my chart to calculate O based on "temps only", then I get a rule of thumb on my highest temp and a coverline drawn around 36.55 C. If I set it to "temps + cervical fluid", the rule of thumb is taken off, and the coverline is lower -- around 36.47 C.

Any help?
Not Ranked
Posts 381
LMo replied on 09-13-2006 10:10 AM
OK, forget it. My coverline changed again with today's temp and I now have my "thumb" back!
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48,476
Theresa replied on 09-13-2006 10:22 AM
If you are calculating with both temps and cm, the software won't "set" the coverline until both temps AND cm indicate that ovulation has happened. So if you're a bit lazy about entering dry days, the software will never set the coverline. (Common issue. Too many people apparently think that "not recorded" is the same as "dry" when it comes to calculations.)

Take care,

Theresa

Not Ranked
Posts 381
LMo replied on 09-15-2006 3:23 PM
Thanks, Theresa. That helps to explain things!!
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 18,340
onlybyhisgrace replied on 02-05-2007 1:07 PM
bump
Not Ranked
Posts 1,940
SarahS_SC replied on 02-23-2007 5:38 PM
Thanks for the bump----this is useful, but it begs the question: does the s/w regard temps during days marked as "menses" less reliable for drawing a CL and therefore will redraw it once you've entered in post-AF temps (if they are higher or lower, etc)? Or, can entering temps during AF (and therefore getting the "six days" earlier) skew your post-AF temps to make them look unnaturally higher or lower (depending)?
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 7,033
chabs replied on 02-23-2007 7:37 PM
Not Ranked
Posts 1,940
SarahS_SC replied on 02-23-2007 9:46 PM
WOW----that completely helped! I'm really glad I'm using the s/w----I totally didn't get the concept until you explained it like that! I was thinking the CL was set in stone once it was drawn.....I get it! I actually understand why the coverline isn't just an arbitrary marker now---it's flexible, and is more of an average, rather than a "limbo stick" that indicates ovulation. Right on! That was uber useful, thank you!
Not Ranked
Posts 15,551
heyjen replied on 02-23-2007 10:12 PM
When paper charting you don't draw the coverline until you notice a good sustained shift. It's just a visual tool to help identify the biphasic pattern of low preTime temps and high post Time temps. The program just does things differently.

As you gain experience you'll learn how to recognize your CL automatically.

Jen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 7,033
chabs replied on 02-23-2007 10:20 PM
Not Ranked
Posts 15,551
heyjen replied on 02-23-2007 10:31 PM
I started about 12 years ago. You? [L] I took a few breaks in between. I've been steady with it for almost 3 years and so much more consistent with the program.

Jen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 7,033
chabs replied on 02-23-2007 10:34 PM
Not Ranked
Posts 1,081
sumerlinzi replied on 03-10-2007 12:05 PM
This is GREAT! Thanks! :)

Summer (32)  Kiss Brent (34)
AngelAngelAngel
Baby Boy Jonah (1)

Not Ranked
Posts 42
jonquin replied on 03-17-2007 11:22 AM
This is v helpful, but I also feel like my brain is about to explode now.

Question: If the coverline is such a flexible thing and changes as your chart changes (to a degree), how can we rely on it to tell us when we've Timeed?!? I mean, aren't we going to think "oh, I've just Timeed" and then find out, several days later, that actually we haven't, yet?

I really want to use this whole TCOYF thing to TTA, but I need to understand it better first before I can trust it and I can't use the software with a Mac, so it's all down to me and getting this right! ARG!
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 7,033
chabs replied on 03-22-2007 7:49 PM
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS